- Excellent design, Dual microphone, Voice Isolation Technology, Shirt clip, Reasonable battery life
- The voice warning which informs of changes isolation settings overpowers your conversation
The BlueAnt Z9 offers a number of enticing features and provides a crisp and clear way to take your mobile calls wirelessly, making it one of the best Bluetooth headsets on the market.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Sporting a stylish design, unique Voice Isolation Technology, dual microphones, and a clip that attaches to your shirt or tie when not in use, BlueAnt's hotly anticipated Z9 Bluetooth headset certainly doesn't disappoint. It's without a doubt one of the best Bluetooth headsets on the market, combining a compact and attractive design with excellent voice quality and noise isolation.
The Z9 offers a number of unique features, the best of which is undoubtedly BlueAnt's patented Voice Isolation Technology, which allows Z9 users the choice between two modes of Voice Isolation - standard and max. The former is for normal everyday environments, such as in the home or office, while the latter should be used in noisy areas, such as driving in busy city traffic. These modes are easily switched during a conversation by pressing the multifunction button (MFB); a voice lets you know what mode you are in, either "voice isolation max", or "voice isolation standard".
We are pleased to say the technology works extremely well, achieving crisp and clear conversation when using the max voice isolation setting in a noisy environment. The Z9 also uses dual microphones. BlueAnt even goes so far to say it offers "pure speech". We are inclined to agree, as our conversations were largely loud, crisp and clear. Further, the Z9 handles wind noise well, and does an excellent job of echo cancellation too. Our only complaint is the voice informing you each time you change the isolation mode; while it plays, you can't hear your caller, although this only lasts for two or three seconds, so it isn't a massive issue.
Design wise, the Z9 is an excellent piece of craftsmanship. It measures just 41mm x 17.5.mm x 11.2mm and weighs only 11g. The gloss black finish does attract fingerprints, but creates a stylish aesthetic. Combined with the translucent, detachable ear hook (which can be worn on both ears) and soft rubber casing around the speaker, the Z9 sits comfortably in your ear and isn't annoying to wear for long periods. The etched BlueAnt logo and flashing LED surrounding the MFB buttons are also a nice touch, as is the built in clip on the rear; it neatly clips onto a tie, shirt or blouse when the headset is not in use.
Like most of these devices, using the Z9 is pretty straight forward. It can pair with up to three phones, and uses what BlueAnt calls 'On-the-Fly' switching, making it easy to change between multiple devices. Turning on the pairing mode is as easy as holding the MFB down for six seconds. Once paired, functions are simple and easy; click the MFB to answer a call, and hold it for three seconds to end a call. Reject an incoming call by holding the MFB for three seconds when your phone is ringing, and redial your last number by holding the volume up button for three seconds. Additional functions include activating voice dialling (provided this is supported by your phone), transferring a call from the headset to your phone, muting the microphone, activating call waiting and holding a conference call. The Z9 can also assign different ring-tones for known and unknown contacts.
The Z9 has a reasonable, but not outstanding 5.5 hrs talk-time and 200 hrs standby. Conveniently, BlueAnt includes both a USB cable (for charging via a PC or notebook) and an AC adapter. There are also two spare ear hooks, and this is quite convenient as they can be easily lost when removed. To top off the package, the Z9 comes with a two year replacement warranty for extra piece of mind.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unveils Bixby voice assistant for upcoming Galaxy S8
- BlackBerry readies a more secure version of the Samsung Galaxy S7
- Android device updates: Nougat rollout begins for the Moto Z Play
- Android device updates: Nougat is coming to the Moto G4, G4 Plus
- Beyond smartphones, Samsung wants its Exynos 9 chip in VR headsets
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst | HealthQLD
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- CCSenior Teradata Developer/Analyst Programmer - Financial - Contract - ParramattaNSW
- FTApplication Security SpecialistVIC
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- FTService Desk ConsultantACT
- FTSolutions Architects - 10 roles availableACT
- FTSenior Full Stack Software Engineer, C#, Financial ServicesNSW
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- FTService Desk AnalystsSA
- FTSAP Payroll and Time ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Developer/DevOpsVIC
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- TPProject Support Officer - Data and Information ManagementVIC
- CCICT Strategist and AdvisorNSW
- FTSenior Applications Support AnalystSA
- FTSenior Change Analyst/ Change ManagerNSW
- FTL&D Manager, Transformation Program in Finance ServicesNSW
- FTSenior IOS DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Full Stack Web Developer - Port MacquarieNSW
- FTC# (Full Stack) DeveloperNSW
- FTSAP HR Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTProject Co-OrdinaterNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD