Bitdefender Total Security 2012
Bitdefender Total Security 2012 is an internet security suite that offers excellent performance at a decent price
- Good ease of use
- Auto-pilot feature
- Slight impact on performance during scanning
Judging from the AV-Test results, Bitdefender Total Security 2012 has to be one of the best IS products around at the moment. It's thorough and easy to use and puts little strain on a typical PC. The price includes licences for up to three computers and a 1-year subscription.
Price$ 104.95 (AUD)
Bitdefender is a Romanian company which has been making Windows anti-virus software since 2001. After an over-zealous makeover last year, the company now claims it has 'the sharp mind of the wolf and the sleekness of the dragon, the vigilance of the alpha-male and the indestructibility of the snake's body'. It writes software. Actually, it writes rather good software and this package is the top product in a range which includes IS and simple AV products further down the line, if you don't have the need or budget for the full thing.
Bitdefender Total Security 2012 adds a file shredder, encryption, PC tune-up and 2GB of online backup to the AV, anti-spam, firewall, parental control, social network protection and anti-phishing of Bitdefender Internet Security 2012.
Bitdefender Total Security 2012's interface is cleanly designed with four big icons in the centre panel. In fact, there are ten big icons, but they won't all fit at once. Instead, you scroll sideways through the control panel. Each leads to a further screen with, for example, a log of scan results or plots of network activity.
There's a separate button for settings, which calls up a multi-tabbed screen where you can fine-tune each element of the suite's protection. Features which go beyond the normal mix of Internet suite applets include virtualising your browser, which is designed to protect it from web-based threats, and social network protection, which checks any links you receive from busty temptresses called Matthew X3654.
Another good feature of the product is Auto-Pilot, which prevents it from interrupting you with questions like 'I've just detected Firefox trying to contact the Internet; what should I do?' and instead makes intelligent guesses over the 'proper' action to take. During testing, Bitdefender Total Security 2012 was nicely quiet and didn't appear to make any silly decisions.
Running a full scan on our test basket of files took 19min 39sec to examine 98,483 files, giving a rate of 83.5 file per second, the third quickest we've seen. With the background systems running, our 1GB file copy took just 33sec, implying very little performance impact, though with a system scan running this rose to 2min 13sec. However, scheduled scans only run when the system is idle, so you shouldn't feel that performance hit.
AV-Test awarded the Bitdefender engine 16/18, an excellent score. It loses only 0.5 each in the Protection and Repair categories and 1.0 under Usability.
To break this down a bit, the Repair section looks at how well the program spots and removes malware which is already running on your Windows PC. The average of all the products AV-Test has tested in the same period as Bitdefender was 97 percent, while Bitdefender scored 100 percent. It's even better than the competition when it comes to the removal of rootkits and stealth malware. The average is 84 percent, but Bitdefender scored 97 percent.
Finally, in correcting system modifications caused by malware, the average is 57 percent, but Bitdefender Total Security 2012 scored 89 percent. Pretty impressive and something the company can be rightly proud of.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Google shifts on email encryption tool, leaving its fate unclear
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Britain's wartime codebreaking base could host a national cyber security college
- Kaspersky Labs says Microsoft is anticompetitive towards third-party antivirus
- Password manager LastPass now works on all your devices for free
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTMid-Level Project ManagerQLD
- FTNetwork Engineer - Cisco VoiceWA
- FTProject / Implementation Coordinator (Junior-Mid Level) Sunshine Coast LocationQLD
- CCData Engineer (Java/ Data/ Big Data Developer)VIC
- FTSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- TPSOE AdministratorQLD
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- CCSAP Consultant - SAP Native HANA to DesignWA
- FTChief Architect - Principal ArchitectVIC
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTIt Security and process analystNSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - SydneyACT
- TPProduct Owner - Cloud SolutionsQLD
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - InfrastructureVIC
- CCTest Automation EngineerVIC
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerVIC
- TPCrystal Reports DeveloperSA
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - ITIL ContinuityVIC
- TPMicrosoft Dynamics DeveloperNSW
- CCCyber Security Strategy AnalystVIC