Bitdefender Internet Security 2012
Bitdefender’s security suite blends a friendly design with top-shelf PC protection for novices and advanced users alike.
- Friendly interface
- Provides great protection against malware
- Significantly slows PC performance
- Slow scan speeds
A great choice for beginners and advanced users alike, Bitdefender's suite combines a friendly interface with top-notch protection.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
Bitdefender Internet Security 2012 ($89.95 for one year and three PCs) comes in third in our 2012 roundup of security suites. But although it earned the bronze overall, it captured the highest rating in our malware detection, blocking, and removal tests. Those fantastic results, combined with the software's excellent interface, make it a great choice.
The Bitdefender suite found and blocked 96 percent of samples in our real-world malware tests (which help to show how well antivirus software can stop brand-new malware), and it spotted 99.96 percent of known malware samples. Both of those results are very good--the latter was the third-best result in that particular test that we saw this year. False positives were almost nonexistent, as the suite misidentified only one safe file as being malicious. And the Bitdefender software was the best of the test group in cleanup, too: It detected and disabled all active sample infections, and removed every last trace of malware 90 percent of the time.
Bitdefender’s revamped interface is our favorite. Last year we criticized BitDefender's old approach: The previous version of the suite had three different modes tailored to beginners, intermediate users, and experts. We found that this setup overcomplicated matters, since the basic mode was a little too simplistic, but the advanced mode was an overwhelming mix of tabs and toggles.
Its new design, though, should be easy for beginners to understand, but it still maintains plenty of flexibility for advanced users. Screens are laid out nicely, and at no point did I feel overwhelmed by the settings panes. At the top of the main window is a status indicator that lets you know whether you're protected; below that is a side-scrolling panel that allows you to turn various suite components on or off, or to drill down deeper to toggle more settings.
The individual settings panes have lots of controls, but they're arranged nicely. Clicking the help button in each one (denoted with a question mark) produces pop-up messages that describe what the settings do. And the program’s new “Auto Pilot” mode puts protection levels at their recommended settings; you can toggle it with a simple on/off switch located on the main control panel.
Bitdefender could stand to improve its suite's impact on overall PC performance, though. The Bitdefender package slowed startup times more than any other suite we looked at, adding over 10 seconds to our test PC's boot time as compared to a fresh install of Windows. It also dragged our PC down significantly when we copied files over a network, completing that test in 5 minutes, 37 seconds. (By comparison, our test machine finished the copying operation in 60 seconds without antivirus software installed.)
Its scan speeds are respectable: Bitdefender's on-demand (manual) scanner checked 4.5GB of data for malware in 1 minute, 56 seconds, placing around the middle of the pack. The on-access scanner (which runs whenever you open or save a file) completed its check of 4.5GB in 4 minutes, 25 seconds; although that's a slightly better-than-average result, it still ranked seventh among the 14 suites we looked at.
That said, if you can tolerate such system performance issues, Bitdefender Internet Security 2012 is an excellent suite for novice and advanced users alike.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 2 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 3 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 4 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 5 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Kmart suffers security breach
- $523,000 bounty for Ashley Madison hackers
- Nine charged in press release breaches, stock trading scheme
- Some Yahoo Mail users menaced by zombified deleted emails
- Tested: How Flash destroys your browser's performance
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW