BitDefender Antivirus Pro 2011
BitDefender Antivirus Pro 2011 offers good detection of known malware
- Effective at cleaning up infections, good detection of known malware
- Struggles at detecting new malware, interface may be confusing to some
BitDefender Antivirus Pro 2011 does a good job at detecting malware and disinfecting PCs, but it had some difficulty in blocking brand-new malware.
Price$ 59.93 (AUD)
BitDefender Antivirus Pro 2011 did a good job at detecting malware, and at removing infections from a PC, but it had some trouble blocking live malware attacks.
BitDefender's installation process is a bit longer than that for most of the antivirus products we looked at, as it takes you though not just installation, but various setup options as well. BitDefender comes with three interface "tiers"—a Basic interface, an Intermediate one, and an Expert one. The idea is that you can use an interface that fits your expertise level; the higher up you go, the more options you'll have access to.
I have mixed feelings on this approach: I like the basic interface for its simplicity and directness, and the Intermediate interface isn't bad either, but the Advanced interface is a convoluted mess of tabs running across the top and along the side of the window. If you're looking for set-it-and-forget-it simplicity, stick with the Basic mode. If you like toggling knobs and buttons and aren't intimidated by lots of tabs and controls, give the Intermediate and Advanced modes a try.
While BitDefender wasn't the all-around winner in malware detection and removal tests, it still put up some very good scores. When detecting malware using scanner-based detection methods, BitDefender Antivirus Pro detected 97.5 percent of samples—a solid score, although the top performers in this test detected over 99 percent of samples. This particular test mainly determines how well a product can detect known malware.
BitDefender has an Achilles' heel, though: Antivirus Pro didn't do a great job at blocking actual, live malware attacks. It fully blocked 68 percent of attacks, and partially blocked an additional 20 percent of attacks. BitDefender wasn't the worst performer in this test, but it was definitely below average; most other paid antivirus products we looked at fully blocked at least 80 percent of attacks. This indicates that it may have some difficulty catching brand-new malware for which a signature file doesn't yet exist.
On the other hand, Antivirus Pro was one of the best performers at cleaning up an infection once it gets into a PC; it detected all infections on a test PC, removed all active components of infections in 80 percent of the cases, and fully removed infections 70 percent of the time--the best score among the products we looked at. In addition, it was one of the few paid antivirus products we reviewed that didn't flag a "safe" file as possible malware.
Malware scan speeds were around average: It scanned 4.5GB of files in 2 minutes, 6 seconds using the on-demand scanner that kicks in when you manually initiate a malware scan. The on-access scanner that checks files for malware as they're opened or saved to disk was somewhat slower than average; it scanned 4.5GB of files in 5 minutes, 27 seconds.
Antivirus Pro had a moderate effect on PC performance in our tests. The test PC booted in 46.4 seconds with BitDefender Antivirus Pro installed, versus 40.1 seconds with no antivirus software installed. But this is around average when compared to the other paid antivirus products we looked at. This trend continued in other tests that show how antivirus software impacts overall PC performance—BitDefender scored either a little above or slightly below average for products we looked at in most of the PC speed tests.
Every product has its strengths and weaknesses. BitDefender Antivirus Pro 2011 is a pretty solid package, with a healthy set of features. But while it did a very good job in most malware detection and removal tests, you should bear in mind that it may not block brand-new malware attacks very well.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 3 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 4 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 5 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
Latest News Articles
- LastPass is scrambling to fix another serious vulnerability
- BlackBerry readies a more secure version of the Samsung Galaxy S7
- After CIA leak, Intel Security releases detection tool for EFI rootkits
- Cisco on CIA WikiLeaks revelations: It’s not our problem… this time
- Old Windows malware may have tampered with 132 Android apps
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- Subaru XV 2017 review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTSenior .Net Developer with Angular JSVIC
- FTCloud Infrastructure Specialist - Azure/AWSNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- FTApplication Team Lead - ERP & Microsoft TechnologiesNSW
- CCFull-stack Software EngineerNSW
- FTSenior .Net Developer (Silverlight)VIC
- TPProject SchedulerVIC
- TPSenior Front End DeveloperVIC
- TPProject Manager | HealthQLD
- FTJunior Applications SupportVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!WA
- FTNetwork Consulting ArchitectVIC
- FTStorage Engineer (HDS)NSW
- CCSecurity Incident Analyst - Splunk - TelcoVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTFront End .Net Developer. Permanent jobACT
- FTArcFM/Gis Lead DeveloperNSW
- FTProgram Learning Capability Manager, Financial ServicesNSW
- FTAgile TesterNSW
- TPBusiness Project Manager - DigitalNSW
- FTSnr Salesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- FTICT Account Manager / ICT Client Services ManagerQLD
- FTL&D ConsultantVIC