beyerdynamic RSX 660
- Very well designed and comfortable, provide excellent audio quality
- Poor reception, especially at range; limited volume
The RSX 660 are very high-quality headphones, but may be a risky buy if you use them a long way from the audio source or while move around.
Price$ 339.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 4 stores)
Beautifully designed, the beyerdynamic RSX 660 wireless headphone system includes very comfortable, well-padded closed cups and a highly adjustable padded bridge; readily accessible tuning and volume controls; and a slick look that matches the best wired headphones. They're rather large for wireless headphones, but not overly heavy (about 290g sans batteries), and the extra size gives them enough room to fit over your ears rather than crush them.
The audio quality of the analog 660 RSX, when tuned, was excellent, if a little flat. There was no noticeable line noise or interference, but the volume level was quite limited, as was the bass. Still, for some light listening, the RSX 660 was very good--when we could get it to tune properly, that is.
The RSX 660, operating in the 863MHz band, had serious issues holding a signal in our testing, especially if we were moving around. Often it would drop to a mono signal, or lose the signal altogether for a few seconds. Heavy white noise came into play as we moved up to 12m from the base station (even though it's claimed that the headphones work at 50m or more). We tried both the available channels and extensive tuning at short and long range to get it to work. When it did work, it worked very well, but when we moved position we often had to try to re-tune. With the beyerdynamic, we basically had to find a spot in the house that worked, and stay there.
The base station for the RSX 660 is a little larger than most wireless headphone stations, with good reason--it includes a charging rack for the headphones. It's a nifty touch, although it's a little annoying that you have to reset your fitting adjustments every time you want to plug it into the recharger. According to beyerdynamic, the headphones will last up to 8 hours on a pair of AAA batteries.
If it weren't for the tuning issues, we'd have no problem recommending the RSX 660 headphones. If you plan a relatively static use for the headphones, they might work very well for you--but make sure the people you buy them from offer a money-back guarantee.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Parrot's Zik 2.0 headphones include an accelerometer and plenty of noise cancelling
- Kogan opens online shop in New Zealand
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- FTAX Lead Functional ConsultantWA
- CCIP & Fixed LeadVIC
- FTSystems Applications ManagerACT
- CCTechnical BI Business Analyst- Informatica, Oracle OBIEENSW
- CCOSS/BSS Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Logistic and TransportVIC
- CCSenior SAP BW & HANA Developer/Technical ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Automation Engineer / TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTCisco IP Telephony EngineerNSW
- FTProduct Owner - MarketingNSW
- CCSAP MM / Ariba Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCPMO ManagerVIC
- FTPortfolio Governance ConsultantNSW
- CCAccounts Reconciliation Officer/ AdministratorNSW
- CCCommunication LeadVIC
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCSenior PHP Developer (12 month contract )VIC
- CCDW/BI DeveloperACT
- CCTechnical Architect - CloudNSW
- FTCitrix SpecialistACT
- FTProject ManagerVIC
- FTInfrastructure Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst / BillingNSW