The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (preview)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is going to be one of the hottest games of 2011
- Improved visuals, dragons, it's the sequel to Oblivion, did we mention dragons
- November 11 is a long time to wait for fans, we're worried about the PC version being too 'console-ised'
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is one of the most anticipated games of 2011. We can't wait to get our hands on it.
It's almost exactly five years since The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was released. But fans of the Elder Scrolls series — and it has a lot of fans — have almost eight months still to wait until the next part of the series is released. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will be the newest addition to the first-person action RPG franchise, and it's due to be released on November 11.
Check out our collection of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim screenshots.
In a blog entry at Elderscrolls.com/ game director Todd Howard explained that after Bethesda Game Studios finished Oblivion, the team "dove full steam into making Fallout 3. But we did put down a few ideas on paper about what we’d do after Fallout, and that would be Skyrim, featuring the return of dragons to the Elder Scrolls. We usually start with an overall tone of the game. And Skyrim spoke to all of us. The original home of men: rugged, weathered. The ancient power of the Nords would come to life through their shouts. You would battle with dragons, using their language, and become the one thing they fear: Dovahkiin, the Dragonborn. Five years later and we’re excited to finally share some of this vision as it comes to life on the screen."
The events of Skyrim will take place two centuries after those depicted in Oblivion (the events of oblivion consisting mainly of picking flowers and herbs, mercilessly slaughtering innocent villages and accumulating a large number of houses, if we recall correctly; oh, and closing a few Oblivion gates). Skyrim takes place in, er Skyrim — with the game area being about the size of Oblivion's.
Bethesda has revealed that Skyrim will use a new engine — not Gamebryo, which was used for Fallout 3, Oblivion and The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.
Along with improved visuals, Skyrim will offer tweaked combat, improved AI and dragons. We're not sure which of those we're most excited about. Needless to say, it's going to be an agonising wait until November 11.
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will be available for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
- This week in games: Free Titanfall 2 weekend, Star Wars Battlefront meets Rogue One
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- FTJava DeveloperSA
- CCIntegration Systems SpecialistQLD
- CCTest ManagerVIC
- FTMid Level Infrastructure Project ManagerVIC
- FTTSM SpecialistNSW
- FTTechnical Account ManagerACT
- FTJunior Business Process Analyst Perm North SydneyNSW
- FTTest Analyst - HealthcareVIC
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - VirtualizationNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- TPLevel 3 Systems EngineerWA
- FTLinux Systems EngineerQLD
- TPTechnical Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTMDM - ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Test Analyst - TAFEQLD
- CCProject/ Operational CoordinatorNSW
- FTSOE Team LeaderWA
- CCBusiness Analyst Finance & Lending - Brisbane Based RoleNSW
- FT.NET CMS DeveloperWA
- CCSenior IT Digital BA/Project ManagerVIC
- FTCheckpoint Firewall and VPNNSW