BenQ Australia V2400W
Stylish LCD with HDMI support
- Design, colour levels, fast response time, touch-sensitive controls, no noticeable ghosting during gaming and movie playback
- Average viewing angles, finer details sometimes lost, only a VGA cable included, no wall mounting option
BenQ’s V2400W features a stylish design, and its excellent performance in most areas means that it’s ideal for the typical PC user or gamer. The addition of HDMI should also appeal to console owners.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
Sporting a stylish design, HDMI support and a response time as quick as 2ms, BenQ's V2400W is aimed at the typical PC user, gamer or next-generation HDMI gaming console owners. According to BenQ, it's the "world's slimmest LCD monitor". Most consumers will be quite pleased with the V2400W, although professionals who work with colour imaging for a living will surely look elsewhere.
Supporting a standard 24in resolution of 1920x1200, the V2400W is ideal for watching high-definition content thanks to its HDMI connection. A 2ms response time — when BenQ's Advanced Motion Accelerator (AMA) feature is activated — is extremely quick and is therefore suited for reproducing fast motion such as action movies or video games. When connected to a Blu-ray player via HDMI, the V2400W performed well and we found no evidence of ghosting. Finer, dark details were sometimes lost and the monitor tended to slightly over-saturate skin tones, but on the whole, performance for gaming and movies is above average.
Despite the appeal for gamers and multimedia buffs, the V2400W also functions well as a standard desktop monitor, producing crisp text. We didn't need to adjust the sharpness controls using a PC, although there is a slight amount of grey banding evident. TN (twisted nematic) panels are generally considered to have poor viewing angles, and although the V2400W doesn't manage to put this theory to rest completely it is solid in this regard. Horizontal viewing angles are good; however, vertical viewing angles are somewhat poorer.
Colour balance will be fine for gamers and desktop users alike, but the TN panel means professionals such as video editors and designers will look elsewhere. In our DisplayMate tests, the V2400W struggled to distinguish whites and blacks at either end of the scale, though the low level of backlight bleed is impressive. BenQ has included five image preset modes — standard, movie, dynamics, photo and sRGB. We were impressed with the dynamic contrast; the convenient split-screen demo mode displays its benefits to good effect.
Aside from offering a HDMI input, the V2400W has an impressive design. At just 24mm thick, BenQ claims it is the world's slimmest LCD monitor. The unusual off-centre stand design and gloss black and silver bezel are quite attractive. A downside to the all-in-one unit is the fact that the screen can't be swivelled or rotated — you can only adjust the tilt angle upwards or downwards.
The V2400W's controls are prominently incorporated on the bottom left side of the display. The buttons are touch-sensitive and feature a blue backlight when activated. Though there is no tactile feedback when pressed, the controls are fairly responsive and beep when activated.
Unfortunately, BenQ is far from generous with included accessories. Despite HDMI and DVI connections, only a VGA cable is included in the sales package. Also, the fact that the V2400W can't be wall mounted may turn away many potential buyers.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- R.I.P. VGA: Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080 dumps analog support, following Intel and AMD's lead
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
- LG's ultra-thin touchscreen panels will enable lighter, thinner notebooks
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCProgram Business AnalystVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL/Web) 160519/AP/453Asia
- CCTechnical Service LeadNSW
- CCSAP Hanna ConsultantNSW
- FTDynamics Project ManagerNSW
- CCData Center ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Service Desk ManagerNSW
- CCTechnical Solutions Specialist - Software Developer (Client facing)NSW
- CCNetwork Consultant - Bandwidth Assessment | 3 month contract into Defence | NV1+ACT
- FTSOE SpecialistACT
- CCTechnical System Engineer (Linux/Mobile/SQL)160524/TSE/vmtAsia
- FTCloud ArchitectAsia
- CCSnr Technical System Engineer (IBM/Oracle/SQL) 160524/STSE/vmtAsia
- CCSecurity Administrative Support OfficerACT
- CCNetwork AdministratorWA
- CCProgram Business Implementation Director- HR Payroll, FINSW
- CCService Desk ConsultantACT
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- CCBusiness Intelligence (BI) AnalystQLD
- FTNV1, NV2 Network Engineers | Permanent role with diverse Defence projectsACT
- CCTransition Project ManagerNSW
- CCMultiple Oracle Fusion SOA/BPEL Developer OpportunitiesVIC
- FT.NET DevelopersQLD
- CCProject Manager NetworksNSW
- CCSystems Analyst (HTML/JAVA/Wireless & Mobile) 160525/SA/443Asia