BenQ Australia Joybook S72 v33
- Very light, bright display
- Nothing notable
Light, bright and sturdy; the S72 looks good and performs well too.
Price$ 2,999.00 (AUD)
This mid-sized, thin and light (2.2kg) notebook features a bright (200cd/m²) and unusually sized 14" widescreen display.
The S72 is a second-generation Centrino (Sonoma) model, featuring an Intel Pentium M processor 750 (1.9GHz) and 802.11a/b/g Wi-Fi.
A 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon X600 graphics controller provides a maximum resolution of 1280 x 768 pixels on the LCD, plus S-Video TV-Out and VGA-out (external monitor) connections.
BenQ media centre software is supplied for DVD and CD playback and can be controlled using the bundled infrared remote that hides away in the single PC Card slot (ExpressCards aren't supported). The remote is also equipped with a laser pointer--perfect for presentations.
The keyboard doesn't have the best key travel, but is certainly serviceable and has program shortcut buttons above it. System status lights and a built-in microphone are located on the left of the front fascia. Headphone/optical audio-out and microphone jacks are also available.
Other features include an integrated four-in-one card reader, Wi-Fi on/off switch, four USB 2.0 slots and single FireWire, Ethernet and 56Kbps modem ports.
The Joybook S72 is well designed, with strengthened magnesium alloy casing, and special attention has been paid to heat management. It performed quite solidly in our tests, particularly in our battery life tests.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- SSD adoption in laptops exceeds expectations
- Apple will refund you for your iMac hinge repair costs
- MacBook Pro teardown reveals pointless speaker grilles and hard-to-replace Touch Bar
- Apple leads tablet sales, but the iPad Pro is not its best seller
- Latest MacBook Pro price reset resembles shift to Retina in 2012
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCService Desk AnalystACT
- CCSenior Windows Systems Engineer- MCSE- SCOM, SCCMNSW
- TPFull Stack Web DeveloperNSW
- CCLotus Notes DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP HR & Payroll Project ManagerACT
- FTLevel 2/3 ConsultantNSW
- CCTechnical Application Specialist (Cerner)QLD
- CCDigital Content StrategistVIC
- CCAdobe AEM DeveloperVIC
- CCERP LeadWA
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCServicing Financial Planner - CBDNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagersACT
- FTSenior Software EngineerWA
- FTSoftware Developer - .NETNSW
- TPSAP ABAP ProgrammerQLD
- TPBusiness Systems AnalystQLD
- FTDesktop Delivery Team LeaderQLD
- FTMotor Claims ConsultantNSW
- CCData Quality AnalystNSW
- TPSharePoint ConsultantACT
- CCJava DeveloperWA
- CCAPI DeveloperSA
- FTICT Manager - DefenceACT
- CCConsumer Social Specialist / Campaign Manager (Digital)VIC