BenQ Australia Joybook S61 V30
- Lighweight, good battery life, doubles as a media center
- Trackpad does not have scrolling function, <Fn> and <Ctrl> keys are not located in normal positions
If you need a notebook that will last for four hours while on the road, and double as a media centre once you get back to base, then look no further.
Price$ 2,599.00 (AUD)
BenQ's latest release, the S61 v30, is the only 12.1in notebook we've seen to come with a built-in digital TV tuner. It weighs just 1.65kgs, has a 12.1in screen with a 1200x800 resolution and a slim optical drive bay, yet it's remarkably portable.
Relying on an Intel T2300 CPU, which runs at 1.66GHz with 512MB RAM, this JoyBook scored a competitive 81 in World Bench 5 and 4861 in 3DMark 2001 SE. Running F.E.A.R. at anything above the game's optimised settings for the Joybook's Intel GMA 950 graphics processor is a futile task as this notebook is not designed for gaming. At the optimised setting, it scored 22 frames per second in this benchmark. In battery life tests, it lasted four hours and twelve minutes, running MobileMark 2002.
To watch TV, BenQ supplies a portable antenna, but it will pick up one or maybe two channels, at most - so an external roof mounted antenna is recommended. The case design of the notebook is thin and it has a grey, latch-less lid - which we like.
BenQ has also included its proprietary QMedia bar that is embedded in your desktop background which provides fast access to all of your media functions, including the impressive media centre.
Unfortunately the notebook's trackpad has no scrolling function, and its
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Asus ROG teases a massive gaming notebook that outperforms Titan X
- Chromebooks beat Mac notebooks 1.4-to-1 in U.S.
- Guess how much HP sold its gold- and diamond-encrusted laptops for?
- No Play Store for old Chromebooks
- Google is bringing Android apps to Chromebooks
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCService Provider Manager - DesktopVIC
- FTSystems EngineerACT
- CCSolutions Architect - SAP HANAQLD
- CCSenior Network Engineer - NV1ACT
- CCIT Program ManagerACT
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCTechnical Service LeadNSW
- FTPerformance Test AnalystNSW
- CCOpen Source Specialist / Senior ConsultantQLD
- CCDelivery Manager - Integration SpaceVIC
- CCDigital Content ProducerVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - TelcoVIC
- CCData Engineer | Real Time StreamingNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160523/AP/254Asia
- CCAccess Control Administration / Help desk OperatorACT
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsNSW
- CCQA OfficerACT
- CCMultiple .Net DevelopersNSW
- CCSenior DevOps EngineerACT
- CCMultiple Oracle Fusion SOA/BPEL Developer OpportunitiesVIC
- FTTechnical Services SpecialistACT
- CCSecurity Clearances Vetting Services OfficerACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/SQL*PLUS) 160519/AP/432Asia
- FTGraduate IT Support OfficerNSW