BenQ G2412HD 24-inch LCD monitor
This Full HD BenQ monitor offers HDMI connectivity, making it ideal to hook up to a high-definition gaming console
- Full HD resolution, HDMI input, 2ms response time, good colour and contrast, 16:9 widescreen
- Some image noise via HDMI, glossy bezel reflects light, stand isn't height adjustable, controls aren't backlit, viewing angles could be improved
The Full HD resolution and HDMI port make the BenQ G2412HD a relatively inexpensive way to get the most out of high-definition gaming consoles. The level of image noise could be improved when the monitor is connected via HDMI, but given the asking price this monitor is a decent option.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
BenQ's 24in G2412HD LCD monitor looks almost identical to the BenQ G2410HD but it adds an HDMI port. Combined with the monitor's Full HD resolution, it makes the BenQ G2412HD ideal for people who own a high-definition gaming console, such as Microsoft's Xbox 360 or Sony's PlayStation 3.
The BenQ G2412HD LCD monitor has a thin glossy black bezel and a dome-shaped base. There are more stylish monitors on the market, and the G2412HD has a glossy bezel that is irritatingly reflective. The screen itself has a matte finish. The monitor's base offers vertical tilt adjustment, but the stand isn’t height adjustable and doesn’t tilt horizontally. However, the unit is wall mountable with a standard VESA mount.
The G2410HD's controls are hit and miss. They are placed below the bezel at the bottom right of the monitor, sitting on an angle. They aren’t backlit so it's difficult to adjust settings at night, and the button placement is rather awkward.
The BenQ G2412HD has a native resolution of 1920x1080 — Full HD. Combined with its 16:9 aspect ratio and HDMI input, it means this monitor is great for watching high-definition movies. We hooked the G2412HD up to a Blu-ray player and the results were quite impressive: motion is smooth, colours are accurately reproduced and the image is crisp and clear. Our main complaint is image noise. When watching Blu-ray discs and playing games on an Xbox 360 via HDMI, the image revealed more noise than we expected. It's not a huge issue, but does detract slightly from the overall image quality.
The G2412HD also has DVI and D-Sub VGA ports. Annoyingly, BenQ doesn't include a DVI or HDMI cable in the sales package.
For regular use computer use via DVI or D-Sub the G2412HD provides good image quality and performance. We were particularly impressed by its motion handling. It has a 2ms response time when BenQ's Advanced Motion Accelerator (AMA) feature is activated and we didn't encounter any ghosting issues.
Contrast and colour reproduction are good, although fine dark details and skin tones are slightly over-saturated. The BenQ G2412HD displays text crisply with no visible aberrations.
The G2412HD's viewing angles are rated at 160/170 degrees which is fair but not outstanding. There is noticeable colour shift and detail loss when viewing the screen from off-centre.
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTFull Stack PHP Developer - Focus on Front EndQLD
- FTFull Stack Web Developer .NET or JAVANSW
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- FTSecurity Solutions Architect - Consultancy - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Enterprise Information SharingQLD
- CCSAP Consultant - SAP Native HANA to DesignWA
- FTAnalyst Programmer (Natural/Adabas)SA
- CCData Analyst - AutoHaulWA
- FTSAP BOBJ ConsultantACT
- CCWPF .NET EngineerNSW
- FTSystem EngineerVIC
- FTSales Account Manager | Cloud Solutions | Global Tech GiantNSW
- TPICT Contracts Compliance ManagerWA
- FTJava Developer/IntegratorACT
- FTSenior Support Account ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Network AdministratorNSW
- TPService Desk Analyst - Level 1VIC
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTDigital Sales Account Manager - Global BrandNSW
- FTDigital Strategist - Global Consulting FirmACT
- TPJava DeveloperVIC
- TPImplementation Business Partner - Business ModernisationNSW
- TPTechnical Business Analyst - DigitalQLD
- CCUser ResearcherNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW