BenQ Australia DW1650
- Good compatibility
- Uneven transfer rate
No dramatic change from the DW1640, but the QSuite update is a good bonus that allows you to get more from your burner.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
BenQ's latest burner hasn't changed dramatically since the previous version, the DW1640. In fact, almost all the specifications are the same. The only difference we could see was a slight increase in power requirements and an update of it proprietary burning software, QSuite, from 1.0 to 2.1.
QSuite features BenQ's SolidBurn technology, which looks to improve the burn quality of any media type you use, over time - without the hassle of constant firmware upgrades. While we couldn't test this over time, this feature allows the BenQ burner to be compatible with a wider range of DVD media.
In our tests, we burnt to 2.4x Verbatim DVD+R DL discs (which Verbatim claims can be written to at up to 6x with compatible drives). These were recognised at their default 2.4x speed, not higher. This resulted in a slow 7.85GB double-layer burn of 46min. The burner is capable of burning a full double-layer disc in around 17min when burning at 8x. The burn quality of this disc was good, however, during read tests the transfer rate experienced a few spikes as the drive read data on the outer edge of the disc.
The double-layer disc was readable in most drives except the older Pioneer 107D, despite us setting the book type to DVD-ROM. The ability to set the book type is an invaluable function of the BenQ QSuite when burning discs to make them compatible with older drives and DVD players. Our single layer DVD+R tests burnt at 8x in 8min 13sec, about one and a half minutes off the current pace. DVD read speeds from this drive averaged 11.69MBps.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Intel will provide early access to fast Optane SSDs via the cloud
- Samsung’s massive 15TB SSD can be yours -- for about $10K
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP HCM / HR -Sr. Business AnalystNSW
- CCDesktop Support AnalystNSW
- CCQuality AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCSecurity ArchitectACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCEnterprise Architect ? Big Data AnalyticsNSW
- FTNational ICT Senior Technical Support EngineerACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (.Net/SQL Server) 160829/SA/244Asia
- CCProject Resource SpecialistVIC
- CCTechnical Business Analyst- BABOK,Infrastructure, Banking bkgndNSW
- FTChange Management Specialist - IT Service ManagementNSW
- FTTandem/NonStop Technical ConsultantWA
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/SA/812Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Windows 7/8/10) 160901/SA/212Asia
- CCOpen_2pm_29/8_Teradata Database AdministratorACT
- FTBusiness Intelligence Team LeadVIC
- CCChange Communications ManagerNSW
- CCTechnology Specialist Networks & SecurityVIC
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager (12-month renewable contract)Asia