BenQ Australia DW1650
- Good compatibility
- Uneven transfer rate
No dramatic change from the DW1640, but the QSuite update is a good bonus that allows you to get more from your burner.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
BenQ's latest burner hasn't changed dramatically since the previous version, the DW1640. In fact, almost all the specifications are the same. The only difference we could see was a slight increase in power requirements and an update of it proprietary burning software, QSuite, from 1.0 to 2.1.
QSuite features BenQ's SolidBurn technology, which looks to improve the burn quality of any media type you use, over time - without the hassle of constant firmware upgrades. While we couldn't test this over time, this feature allows the BenQ burner to be compatible with a wider range of DVD media.
In our tests, we burnt to 2.4x Verbatim DVD+R DL discs (which Verbatim claims can be written to at up to 6x with compatible drives). These were recognised at their default 2.4x speed, not higher. This resulted in a slow 7.85GB double-layer burn of 46min. The burner is capable of burning a full double-layer disc in around 17min when burning at 8x. The burn quality of this disc was good, however, during read tests the transfer rate experienced a few spikes as the drive read data on the outer edge of the disc.
The double-layer disc was readable in most drives except the older Pioneer 107D, despite us setting the book type to DVD-ROM. The ability to set the book type is an invaluable function of the BenQ QSuite when burning discs to make them compatible with older drives and DVD players. Our single layer DVD+R tests burnt at 8x in 8min 13sec, about one and a half minutes off the current pace. DVD read speeds from this drive averaged 11.69MBps.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Seagate crams a massive 5TB into a portable hard drive
- Google, IBM, and others team up to hasten data transfers in computers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSharePoint Designer / DeveloperQLD
- FTIdentity Management Team LeaderVIC
- FTDesktop Delivery Team LeaderVIC
- CCTrainer - AgileACT
- CCExchange EngineerNSW
- TPSAP BO DeveloperWA
- CCSAP PM/ MRS ConsultantVIC
- PTService Desk AnalystVIC
- CCSales Support AssociateNSW
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkACT
- CCProject Manager- Office 365 and Core Azure servicesNSW
- CCSolution Architect-PHPNSW
- FTLinux Unix AdministratorNSW
- FTJava Developers X 2QLD
- TPSAP HR Payroll Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTSAP BPC Consultant - MelbourneSA
- FTMotor Claims ConsultantNSW
- FTFull Stack PHP DeveloperQLD
- FTUI DeveloperVIC
- FTiOS Developer - Permanent Opportunity!NSW
- FTHealth Software Support Consultant - Permanent - North RydeNSW
- FTService Lifecycle Management Contract AdministratorVIC
- FTPaid Search SpecialistNSW
- FTHead of User ResearchNSW
- CCPerformance Test AnalystOther