BenQ Australia DW1640
- Feature rich, quick
- No DVD-RAM support
A great all-in-one burning solution. This drive has plenty of bells and whistles and delivers everything you would expect.
Price$ 89.00 (AUD)
Stepping up from the BenQ DW1620 Pro, BenQ is still trailblazing with the DW1640. This 8x DVD+R DL is setting the benchmark in double-layer burning, as is BenQ's $89 price tag. Across the board for all media this is a fast drive, only falling down a little with the DVD-RW turning in a 6x rate and no support for DVD-RAM.
The package is rich in features, with plenty of innovations to ensure quality burning. Write Right technology, Walking Optimal Power Control II, Anti-Dust Cooling System and the Air Flow Cooling allow for precision and temperature stability, but how good is the output? Good enough.
The 8.5GB DVD+R DL test burnt with a transfer rate of 8.9KBps which translates to a full disc in just 15 min. Equally impressive was the 4.2GB DVD+R 16x burn at 12.5KBps and transfer speed to the hard drive of 10.9KBps.
BenQ's bundled software includes Nero and its own Qsuite, that allows a lot more configurability and control of the drive. The best function here is the ability to change the Book Type settings so that any DVD+ media you write to will appear as a DVD-ROM, so it will be readable in older drives and DVD players. This setting is not the default, so be sure to change it before laser hits plastic - it is a huge plus in this drive's favour.
The QSuite also allows for a significant amount of media diagnostics before burning, so you can check for a warped disc or a range of other errors.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 3 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 4 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 5 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
Latest News Articles
- Samsung releases the world’s fastest gumstick SSD
- Samsung's 960 Pro and 960 Evo SSDs marry crazy-fast speeds with roomy capacity
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
- IBM targets x86 server territory with new Power servers
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCDigital Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- CCeCommerce Project ManagerNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW