BenQ Australia DW1620 Pro
- Fast, reliable burning.
- Nothing to speak of.
All up, this drive looks good, does not make too much noise when in full flight, and provided reliable write and read results.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
Reliability is a key concern when creating discs, and the faster transfer rates get, the more prone to errors disc creation becomes. Because of this, BenQ has implemented technologies that aim to make every single burn as reliable as possible, especially when the laser nears the edge of the disc, where there is a higher amount of disc wobble.
Other technologies combat tilt and signal quality issues during burning. Signal issues, in particular, are important when burning to double layer discs, as a lot of light is needed to pass through the semitransparent top layer of a double layer disc.
Maintaining consistent signal strength across all areas of the disc is crucial, and this drive uses special power optimisation circuitry designed to achieve this.
So with all this technology lurking inside, how did this drive fare when we put it through its paces? Well, it produced consistent writing performance across DVD+R and DVD+R DL media, and was especially strong with DVD-R media. It was one of only two burners (at the time of writing) with the capability to burn to our 8X DVD-R discs at 12X. At this speed, it burnt a full DVD (including lead-in and out) in the review at 6 minutes and 11 seconds.
For enthusiasts, the drive ships with book-type management software, which changes the format of all created DVD+ media to DVD-ROM to make it more compatible with older DVD players. In our tests, DVD+R DL media was burnt this way and had no problems when inserted in several older DVD drives. This drive also ships with some video software that allows you to capture from DV and VCR sources, if you have FireWire or AV-input on your PC.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 BlackBerry Passport review: A smartphone going nowhere
- 2 Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A flagship at 4.6-inches
- 3 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
- 4 Samsung Galaxy Tab S (10.5) 4G review
- 5 TomTom Runner Cardio GPS watch
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Yosemite OS shares Spotlight search terms by default
- First products from Apple-IBM deal to come next month
- Smartsheet, the project management tool cloaked as a spreadseet, adds visualization
- Telstra misled customers on smartphone warranties: ACCC
- OnePlus One pre-orders go live this week
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | Sales ManagerNSW
- FTSales Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW