BenQ Australia DW1620 Pro
- Fast, reliable burning.
- Nothing to speak of.
All up, this drive looks good, does not make too much noise when in full flight, and provided reliable write and read results.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Reliability is a key concern when creating discs, and the faster transfer rates get, the more prone to errors disc creation becomes. Because of this, BenQ has implemented technologies that aim to make every single burn as reliable as possible, especially when the laser nears the edge of the disc, where there is a higher amount of disc wobble.
Other technologies combat tilt and signal quality issues during burning. Signal issues, in particular, are important when burning to double layer discs, as a lot of light is needed to pass through the semitransparent top layer of a double layer disc.
Maintaining consistent signal strength across all areas of the disc is crucial, and this drive uses special power optimisation circuitry designed to achieve this.
So with all this technology lurking inside, how did this drive fare when we put it through its paces? Well, it produced consistent writing performance across DVD+R and DVD+R DL media, and was especially strong with DVD-R media. It was one of only two burners (at the time of writing) with the capability to burn to our 8X DVD-R discs at 12X. At this speed, it burnt a full DVD (including lead-in and out) in the review at 6 minutes and 11 seconds.
For enthusiasts, the drive ships with book-type management software, which changes the format of all created DVD+ media to DVD-ROM to make it more compatible with older DVD players. In our tests, DVD+R DL media was burnt this way and had no problems when inserted in several older DVD drives. This drive also ships with some video software that allows you to capture from DV and VCR sources, if you have FireWire or AV-input on your PC.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Intel's new super-fast SSDs feature 3D NAND
- Samsung begins shipping redonkulous 15.36TB SSD
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTIT Support - Level 1NSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 160520/AP/985Asia
- CCDomain Specialist | Multiple RolesVIC
- FTDevOps SpecialistVIC
- CCSystem Engineer - Server Migration experienceNSW
- CCProgram Communications SpecialistVIC
- CCTransition Project ManagerNSW
- FTBI / Business Intelligence Designer / ArchitectNSW
- CCAWS Developer/LeadNSW
- CCSenior Automation & Performance EngineerVIC
- FTTechnical LeadNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/Orcale/MySQL) 160531/SA/253Asia
- CCDigital Business Analyst (iOS & Android / Web Projects)NSW
- CCDigital Content ProducerVIC
- CCTester Analyst - learn on the job!ACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS SQL Server/C#.NET)160520/AP/vmtAsia
- CCMultiple .Net DevelopersNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst, ReportingNSW
- CCSolutions Architect - Enterprise ApplicationsNSW
- CCInfrastructure and Cloud Project ManagerVIC
- CCLead Business Analyst - multiple rolesVIC
- FTTechnical Services SpecialistACT
- CCChange Manager - SAP FinanceNSW
- CCData Center ArchitectNSW
- CCDeemed Order Business SpecialistVIC