Belkin Powerline AV+ Starter Kit F5D4075
The Belkin Powerline AV+ networking kit lets you extend your home network over your electrical wiring
- Interchangeable wall plug and extension cord, three Ethernet ports on remote adapter
- No set-up utility
If you have more than one device that you would like to network, or if you want the convenience of desktop mounting, the Belkin Powerline AV+ may be your best option among powerline kits.
Price$ 269.95 (AUD)
HomePlug AV powerline kits tend to be similar in most respects, but the Belkin Powerline AV+ has two compelling features that set it apart from the rest, at little or no added cost.
First, no other HomePlug AV kit we've looked at has interchangeable wall and desk mounts. Like most powerline adaptors, the Belkin Powerline AV+ can remain happily plugged into a wall outlet. But the Belkin kit also includes a cord that permits you to park the adaptor on your desk, saving space in a crowded power outlet and making it easier to connect and disconnect devices.
Second, the Belkin Powerline AV+ includes multiple Ethernet ports in the remote adaptor — an extremely useful feature for home-theatre applications.
You can take advantage of the Belkin Powerline AV+'s three ports to keep your game console, DVR, and Slingbox (for example) connected simultaneously. The overall powerline throughput (about 60mbps in our tests) will get split up among those three ports, but you're unlikely to use more than one or two of them at once, and it can easily handle two high-definition streams.
Otherwise, the Belkin Powerline AV+ kit performs on a par with the other HomePlug AV kits we tested, producing glitch-free high-def video streaming and very good throughput.
The Belkin ships without a software utility, so you can't do things like change the quality of service prioritisation on your network. But it does include a colour-coded powerline LED that indicates whether your connection is bad, so you'll know whether you should choose a different outlet.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Netgear expands its Orbi Wi-Fi system into a product family, adding two less-expensive models
- Chips coming by June will herald the next generation of Wi-Fi
- Plume's 'routerless' mesh network blankets your home in Wi-Fi with an army of tiny pods
- Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router goes all the way to 11
- New Skype Preview lets Windows 10 Insiders manage phone texts on PCs
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- Subaru XV 2017 review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- CCProject AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Engineer, UI focus, Financial ServicesNSW
- TPProject SchedulerVIC
- TPProgram ArchitectQLD
- CCSenior Full Stack Web Developer - Port MacquarieQLD
- CCTSM SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Network Architect l CCIE R&S l Cisco ACINSW
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCProject MangerWA
- FTSOE EngineerQLD
- CCLightweight Directory Access Procol (LDAP) DeveloperNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- FTSolution Designer/ Technical LeadSA
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistNSW
- FT.Net Developer - work on cutting edge BAU projectsVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - SalesforceVIC
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- FTSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- FTInformation Security ConsultantACT
- FTDevelopment Team LeadQLD
- FTCCTV Sales & SupportNSW
- FTICT ManagerNSW
- FTLead DevOps EngineerNSW