Belkin Australia Auto Kit for Ipod
- Simple, Good design
- Expensive (depending on use), Need extra units/cables to play it through your stereo
A simple and easy to use device which is perhaps a little too expensive.
Price$ 79.95 (AUD)
Belkin has long been associated with quality iPod accessories and they have jumped on what we like to call the "CarPod" bandwagon, producing a simple yet effective product which enables you to charge your iPod while you're on the road.
The Auto Kit connects your iPod to your cars power source and includes a cable that charges your iPod from the power of your cars cigarette lighter. Boring you'll say. Well, here is where it gets interesting. Belkin has also included an adjustable amplifier and a 3.5mm audio out jack that allows you to play your iPod through your car stereo (if your head unit has the appropriate input).
This means if your car stereo has a 3.5mm input, you can play your iPod directly through your sound system using this unit and only this unit. For $79.95, that's a real bargain, especially when you consider the price of the head units that are "iPod ready". Granted, a lot of car stereo systems won't have this input, but for those that do, this product is highly recommended.
Don't stress if your stereo doesn't have this connection; the 3.5mm jack on this device means that you can buy other Belkin accessories (such as a mobile cassette adapter) and play it through your car in combination with this unit. It does end up being quite expensive using multiple units though and there's undoubtedly cheaper single units available that may better suit your needs.
Keeping in line with the iPod theme, the Auto Kit is finished in white and grey plastic. The 3.5mm audio-out jack is located underneath the cigarette lighter plug, with the small volume dial just behind it. This is quite a convenient as the cigarette lighter adapter can be inserted upside down, meaning the dial and the plug can be face up, allowing for easy access.
Rounding out the package, the unit is engineered with a replaceable safety fuse to protect from short circuits and an illuminated LED light indicator allows you to ensure that the Auto Kit is connected properly. Notably, the Auto Kit comes with an impressive lifetime warranty.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior Change AnalystNSW
- CCContract Programmer (MS SQL Server/SQL/Web) 160518/P/626Asia
- FTPermanent Defence network engineer - career progression & flexible conditionsACT
- CCPEGA Developer / ConfigurerACT
- FTService Desk AnaylstNSW
- CCAWS Developer/LeadNSW
- CCMicrosoft System Engineer - NV1ACT
- FTData Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQLNSW
- CCTechnical Specialist - IP Network Design - Juniper MXNSW
- CCSecurity Clearances Vetting Services OfficerACT
- FTNV1, NV2 Network Engineers | Permanent role with diverse Defence projectsACT
- CCSr. Windows Server Administrator- Financial Institution BckgNSW
- CCDelivery Manager - Integration SpaceVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS SQL Server/C#.NET)160520/AP/vmtAsia
- FTPerformance Test AnalystNSW
- FTDynamics Project ManagerNSW
- CCEnd to End Project Manager - PMO and GovernanceVIC
- CCCCB & MDM ConsultantNSW
- CCMobility SpcialistACT
- FTSenior Java Developer / Technical LeadACT
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Major exciting White Paper projectsACT
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- CCOracle Siebel Administrator - JULY STARTACT
- CCLMS Administrator and e- Learning Development Project OfficerSA
- CC12 months + 2x12 months | $80/hr | NV1 Project Manager | Large govt departmentACT