Belkin Australia Auto Kit for Ipod
- Simple, Good design
- Expensive (depending on use), Need extra units/cables to play it through your stereo
A simple and easy to use device which is perhaps a little too expensive.
Price$ 79.95 (AUD)
Belkin has long been associated with quality iPod accessories and they have jumped on what we like to call the "CarPod" bandwagon, producing a simple yet effective product which enables you to charge your iPod while you're on the road.
The Auto Kit connects your iPod to your cars power source and includes a cable that charges your iPod from the power of your cars cigarette lighter. Boring you'll say. Well, here is where it gets interesting. Belkin has also included an adjustable amplifier and a 3.5mm audio out jack that allows you to play your iPod through your car stereo (if your head unit has the appropriate input).
This means if your car stereo has a 3.5mm input, you can play your iPod directly through your sound system using this unit and only this unit. For $79.95, that's a real bargain, especially when you consider the price of the head units that are "iPod ready". Granted, a lot of car stereo systems won't have this input, but for those that do, this product is highly recommended.
Don't stress if your stereo doesn't have this connection; the 3.5mm jack on this device means that you can buy other Belkin accessories (such as a mobile cassette adapter) and play it through your car in combination with this unit. It does end up being quite expensive using multiple units though and there's undoubtedly cheaper single units available that may better suit your needs.
Keeping in line with the iPod theme, the Auto Kit is finished in white and grey plastic. The 3.5mm audio-out jack is located underneath the cigarette lighter plug, with the small volume dial just behind it. This is quite a convenient as the cigarette lighter adapter can be inserted upside down, meaning the dial and the plug can be face up, allowing for easy access.
Rounding out the package, the unit is engineered with a replaceable safety fuse to protect from short circuits and an illuminated LED light indicator allows you to ensure that the Auto Kit is connected properly. Notably, the Auto Kit comes with an impressive lifetime warranty.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- CC3x DevOps / Integration Developers l AWS- Cloud- Linux- Puppet Ansible- JIRA-DNSW
- TPProgram ManagerNSW
- CCChange Manager l Port Macquarie NSWNSW
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - AIXVIC
- TPICT - Contracts and Commercial AnalystQLD
- TPSenior PMO AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Risk & ComplianceNSW
- TPTechnical WriterACT
- FTFront End UI DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Full-stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Learning Specialist - Global OrganisationQLD
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperVIC
- FTDatacentre Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTTechnical Support RepresentativeNSW
- TPTest ManagerQLD
- CCIT Risk Specialist (Assurance) - TelcoVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst Finance & Lending - Brisbane Based RoleNSW
- CCProject DirectorVIC
- CCNetwork Systems Engineer l Application Support l Linux l Port MacquarieNSW
- FTSecurity Incident / SOC Analyst (Tier 1) - Permanent - North Ryde BasedNSW
- FTPHP DeveloperQLD
- FTBack End DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskNSW
- FTExecutive Sales ManagerNSW