Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0
Version 8 of Avira Premium Security Suite features a host of updates.
- Impressive antimalware capabilities
- Slow spam filter, not very smart
Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0 is undoubtedly first-class at detecting malware but the AV game has moved on when it comes to factors such as usability, intelligence and hardware footprint. It's now looking relatively dated and awkward to use.
Price$ 71.50 (AUD)
Version 8 of Avira Premium Security Suite features a host of updates, including an improved UI plus several new features, including drive-by download, botnet attack and malicious download protection, not to mention a backup system.
All this is included in Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0 on top of the usual security suite features, such as antivirus and -spyware, firewall, antiphishing and antispam.
Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0's antimalware capabilities continue to impress. The combined virus and spyware protection scans files on demand, on access and on schedule; it also scans incoming and outgoing email.
In the most recent AV-comparatives.org tests, Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0 did very well indeed - in a 2.3m virus test, it came out top, detecting an impressive 99.6 percent, better than Norton AntiVirus's 99 percent score. Its scanning speed was also graded as 'Advanced +', again, a most creditable score. Since then, its scanning speed has been further enhanced, by up to 20% according to Avira. We can vouch for the fact that it is quite nippy.
Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0's antispam doesn't integrate with your email client per se but filters incoming POP3 email anyway. You can train it, by highlighting mis-identified spam emails - and you can set up whitelists, too.
Our ‘spam magnet' email address had more than 8,000 junk emails but it took Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0 a couple of seconds on average to process each one, which is tediously slow. It was, however, fairly accurate, with less than 2 percent of spam ending up in my Windows Mail Inbox - and almost all of that was correctly labelled as spam.
On inbound network traffic, Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0's firewall is as good as but not better than the one that's built-in for Windows. On outbound traffic it pre-approves certain known executables but you have to approve the unknowns, which can be a chore. It also seemed slow to respond when applications seek internet access.
There are a couple of new features that caught our eye. The first is the ability to download a bootable ISO image of an Avira Rescue CD and burn it to disc — handy to have in a crisis. The Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0 backup facility is rudimentary to say the least; however it does have one redeeming feature. Thanks to the modern miracle that is Plug'n'Play, you can trigger a backup simply by plugging in a USB drive.
The trouble with Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0 is that by modern standards it's not very smart — every time it detects malware, or a new program tries to access the internet, it asks you what you want to do, so it can be a bit of a pest. Best of breed AV software automatically makes intelligent decisions on your behalf.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Google's new AI aims to end abusive online comments using 'Perspective'
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPProject Manager to manage two concurrent ProjectsQLD
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- CCCrystal Reports DeveloperSA
- FTIt Security and process analystNSW
- FTHR Payroll ConsultantQLD
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- FTFull Stack Web Developer .NET or JAVANSW
- FTPre- Sales Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCBPM Technical AnalystVIC
- CCGIS Developer - GeocortexWA
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPProduct Owner - Cloud SolutionsQLD
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- FTWintel EngineerSA
- CCAgile CoachNSW
- CCSAP ISU Device Management ConsultantNSW
- FTApplications DeveloperACT
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCIT Procurement OfficerNSW
- CCArcSight Security Engineer - Contract - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW