Avira Premium Security Suite
- Works on old as well as new PCs without any difficulty, it's an antivirus and firewall, easy to install
- Too many access approval requests, updating process can be slow, MailGuard doesn't integrate directly with your e-mail client
A good, low-cost security solution, easily on a par with its rivals. Note that a free lite version of AntiVir is available – marry that with the free version of ZoneAlarm on the DVD and you have an effective but cheap security system.
Price$ 69.80 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 4 stores)
Avira may not be a household name in Australia, but to German and Austrian computer users its antivirus products are on a par with Norton and McAfee.
Avira's Premium Security Suite offers protection against viruses, adware, spyware, rogue diallers, phishing and e-mail viruses. However, it really boils down to a pair of products: a powerful antivirus, AntiVir, plus a firewall.
At just $69, Avira's a fairly inexpensive option. Installation is simple – it takes just a few moments to download the package and install the provided product key.
We especially liked AntiVir's light system footprint. Norton's antivirus in comparison imposes too high a system overhead, and slows systems down. We installed AntiVir on an old laptop and it ran nicely.
AntiVir provides the usual AV protection – a real-time monitor and a system scanner, which can be scheduled. Updates are provided frequently, but AntiVir uses heuristic techniques to detect virus-style action, too. And it will filter up to a dozen processes from on-access scanning, so it can coexist with, for example, a spyware scanner.
Avira's firewall offers far better protection than XP's built-in firewall, but it doesn't perform an initial sweep to automatically clear applications for Internet access. This makes for a lot of access approval requests – even Avira's own AV updater has to be approved the first time it updates.
However, we don't have many complaints. The updating process can be a bit slow and the MailGuard doesn't integrate directly with your e-mail client, but attachments are scanned upon detachment.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
- YouTube is bringing live broadcasting for all to its mobile apps
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCDeployment ManagerACT
- FTSenior Architect, Marketing and Campaign ManagementNSW
- CCChange Analysts - multiple rolesNSW
- CCDevOps EngineerVIC
- CCDigital Project Manager, AgileNSW
- CCSales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCSAP BODS ConsultantNSW
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- CCSAP FICO Consultant/SAP FICO Stream LeadNSW
- CCPMO ManagerVIC
- CCIP & Fixed LeadVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - CloudVIC
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- CCService Management Specialist / ITILNSW
- CCSenior Automation Engineer / TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCProject Manager/ Sr PMO Analyst - Consulting BackgroundNSW
- CCUI/UX DeveloperVIC
- FTMidrange Server Provision SMENSW
- CCFMW DevelopersACT
- CCSolution Architect - Supply ChainNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Asset ManagementNSW
- CCProject Manager, Credit CardsNSW
- FTJava DeveloperVIC
- FTAX Lead Functional ConsultantWA