Avira AntiVir Personal Free AntiVirus 10
Avira AntiVir Personal review: Great malware protection
- Excellent malware detection and blocking, quick scan speeds
- Somewhat light in features, main interface needs refining
Avira AntiVir Personal does an great job at blocking and detecting malware, but its interface needs a makeover.
AntiVir has strength where it counts most: It did a great job at detecting and blocking malware. That said, its interface needs some improvement.
From the outside, AntiVir Personal is nearly identical to its paid counterpart, AntiVir Premium 2010: The two products have nearly identical interfaces and installation processes, so the real difference between them is the feature set. The interface is reasonably straightforward, but some areas do need improvement.
The Status tab gives a basic overview of whether you're protected and up-to-date, though it doesn't really give too much detail. Most buttons are not labelled, and the button icons are not always immediately recognisable, so you'll have to mouse over them for a tooltip describing what they do (some of the tooltips are more useful than others). Avira is a German import, and some of the wording in dialog boxes feels awkwardly translated. The overall feeling I got from AntiVir Personal's interface is that, while it's serviceable, it feels geared toward more advanced PC users.
Avira put up very good scores for malware detection. AntiVir Personal detected 99 percent of malware samples in scanner-based detection tests that predominantly rely on malware signature files, which was one of the better showings in this test among the free antivirus products we tested. And in the blocking of actual, real-world malware attacks, AntiVir personal completely blocked 80 percent of attacks, which puts it slightly above the average of the products we tested. It partially blocked an additional 5 percent of attacks.
Avira also but up decent scores for malware cleanup. It detected all infections on the test system, and was successful in removing all active components of an attack 70 percent of the time (right around average), and removed all malware components 30 percent of the time (also about average).
On the negative side, AntiVir Personal, along with Comodo's free Internet Security Premium, had the most false positives--six--of the free antivirus products we looked at. As a percentage, this number is still low—it was .004 percent of files scanned, and they were all non-operating-system files, but any false positive can be a hassle. That said, only one free product we tested—Avast Free Antivirus--achieved a perfect false positive score.
AntiVir Personal's scan speeds were impressive as well—it completed an on-demand scan of 4.5GB of data in 87 seconds, the best finish of the free antivirus products we looked at. Its on-access scans were also quite fast: It finished the test in 4 minutes, 7 seconds, well below the average time of 2 minutes, 50 seconds. The on-access scan is a good indicator of how quickly an antivirus program will be able to scan files for malware as they're opened or saved to disk. In addition, AntiVir Personal's impact on overall system performance was low, and it added a mere 2.5 seconds to system startup in our tests—the average product added over 4 seconds to startup time.
AntiVir Personal, like Avira's other products, has been a strong contender in the past, and this latest version continues that trend. But we'd like to see Avira make some improvements to its user interface.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- Edward Snowden has developed an iPhone case meant to kill surveillance
- No more passwords with Google's Trust API
- A critical flaw in Symantec antivirus engine puts computers at risk of easy hacking
- Malware attacks on two banks have links with 2014 Sony Pictures hack
- Valve cleverly battles Steam cheaters with two-factor authentication
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Infrastructure/JAVA) 160901/SA/486Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (.Net/SQL Server) 160829/SA/244Asia
- CCCA Gen Model Management-Oracle RDBMS, Oracle Solaris, TTNNSW
- CCEnterprise Architect ? Big Data AnalyticsNSW
- CCFull stack Java Developer- NoSQL database, Amazon AWS productsNSW
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMware - CanberraACT
- CCProject Manager - PCI DSS / IMACSQLD
- CCAutomation ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/Web) 160825/AP/183Asia
- FTMicrosoft Solution ArchitectACT
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- CCDevOps Engineer - Php, LAMP, XML, scripting, JavaNSW
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- CCDesktop Support Level 1 /2VIC
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- FTIT Infrastructure EngineerSA
- CCProject Resource SpecialistVIC
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160817/SITA/902Asia
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160816/AP/vhsAsia
- CCSystems Analyst (IT Security/Network & Systems) 160826/SA/652Asia
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - Active DirectoryVIC
- FTIT ManagerNSW
- FTIT Security & Risk ManagerNSW