AVG Internet Security 9.0
AVG Internet Security 9.0: Solid detection, but needs a makeover
- Strong malware detection, inexpensive
- Poorly organised interface
AVG Internet Security 9 provides strong protection against malware, but its interface needs improvement.
Price$ 69.99 (AUD)
AVG Internet Security 9.0 is an affordable security suite that provides strong malware detection and disinfection, but it could be easier to use.
The interface hasn't changed much since last year, and has some organisational problems. For example, on the main screen, icons representing the suite's various features aren't grouped or organised appropriately, making it hard to find, say, the firewall versus the antivirus protection.
AVG did well at detecting active system infections; it found 93 percent of samples, and disabled 87 percent. This is a good score, but our top performer was able to detect and block all infections on our PC. However, AVG was able to fully remove only 27 percent of the malware samples. In general most suites could effectively detect and disable infections, but would often leave pieces behind. The danger in leaving any segment of malware behind is that an infection could return.
AVG detected 100 percent of inactive and active rootkits (stealth malware used to hide infections from PC users and security software alike), and removed 87 percent of the samples. This means that some rootkits will get left behind, but this removal rate is on a par with the other products we tested.
New in this year's suite is behavioural malware detection technology, which detects malware based solely on how it behaves on your PC. AVG gained expertise in this area through its acquisition of Sana Security in 2009. AVG was perfect at detecting and disabling infections on our test PC in our behavioural-scanning tests. At removing every trace of malware, AVG scored a respectable 93 percent. Compared to other suites we tested, these are high scores for defences against unknown or zero-day attacks.
The suite includes LinkScanner, a tool that looks for and scrubs malicious content from Websites before it hits your browser. This is slightly different from McAfee's Site Advisor, which identifies and blocks malicious sites. Linkscanner lets you view the questionable sites, but it still blocks the malware, which is a better approach.
Using traditional signatures, AVG detected 95 percent of malware, an acceptable result. By comparison, the top performer in this test detected 99.9 percent of malware samples. This test is less important than it was in the past, however; the sheer amount of new malware makes tests that help judge how well a product can detect unknown malware more important than tests of how well it can detect using old-style signatures.
In bootup time, AVG was about 2 seconds slower than the average of suites tested. However, when you consider the number of tools in this suite, that results isn't too bad. AVG's impact on overall system performance was slight compared with other suites, though its scan speeds were on the slow side. It took 6 minutes, 5 seconds to scan a 4.5GB file when we opened it. Our top performer scanned this data in 2 minutes, 51 seconds.
AVG packs at lot of tools at a reasonable price, and we recommend it to users of previous AVG versions and new users alike.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- A vigilante hacker may have built a computer worm to protect the IoT
- Suspected CIA spying tools linked to hacks in 16 countries
- The iCloud hackers' bitcoin ransom looks like a fake
- WikiLeaks: CIA used bits of Carberp Trojan code for malware deployment
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPBusiness Analyst | DETQLD
- CCPersonal AssistantNSW
- FTJunior Business Analyst / Project Coordinator dual roleVIC
- CCCitrix SpecialistNSW
- CCService Delivery Analyst - Port MacquarieNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCIT Information ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior ICT Project ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical SpecialistACT
- FTTechnical LeadVIC
- FTSecurity Solutions Manager - Perth BasedNSW
- CCData Warehouse SpecialistQLD
- CCSenior Change ManagerQLD
- FTInternal Recruitment Coordinator / Talent Acquisitio ConsultantNSW
- FTSales Lead - Healthcare systemsVIC
- CCService Delivery Analyst -Port MacquarieNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Cyber Security EnvironmentACT
- CCApplication Developer - Datastage & SQL ServerVIC
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsVIC
- FTBusiness Development ManagerACT
- CCVisual DesignerACT
- CCProcess Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior Security SpecialistNSW
- FTContracts ManagerNSW
- FTContracts & Procurement Support OfficerACT