Avermedia AverTV Hybrid+FM PCI
- Time shifting, Thorough signal search.
- HD recording lacks audio.
Despite the audio problem we faced during HD recording, this card has enough versatility to make it a worthy choice for a PC or media centre.
Price$ 154.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
AverMedia's Hybrid TV tuner card is a half-height PCI card, which ships with a half-height mounting bracket and has broadcast driver architecture (BDA) support, making it suitable for use in a media centre PC.
The card can tune into analog or digital TV signals as well as FM radio (it comes with an FM antenna) and it also has composite and S-Video input ports. For testing, we had to update the driver software that the card ships with (AverTV) in order to eliminate stability problems when recording programs. However, not all problems were resolved by the update as we found that high definition (HD) recordings lacked sound. Standard definition (SD) recordings worked perfectly and the recording scheduler, as well as the time-shifting function, worked flawlessly.
The picture quality of SD and HD channels were clear and vibrant and the card displayed both types of broadcasts without stuttering. CPU usage was 20 per cent and 40 per cent, respectively, for both types of broadcasts on our AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ test platform.
Unlike the ASUS My Cinema card, this card picked up Channel 9 in Sydney without any fuss and its ability to tune into analog signals was also very good (it even picked up Sydney's community TV station). Its ability to record from analog devices, such as VCRs, is adequate for short recordings, but during our tests we did note some slight skips. It's very useful as a pass-through for watching videos through your PC.
The card can only record MPEG2 streams, not entire transport streams. This is not a huge omission in today's digital TV climate as most TV channels broadcast the same content on all their sub-channels.
For ease of use, Aver ships the card with a remote control and an infrared receiver.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Huawei female watch review: Bringing out your inner fashionista
- 4 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 5 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- AMD packs 1TB SSD into a GPU for better VR and gaming
- AMD's new SSG Technology blends an SSD with a GPU?!
- AMD's Radeon Pro WX GPUs can create VR content for under $1,000
- Nvidia's latest Quadro GPU delivers a blistering 12 teraflops of performance
- Gaming desktops with AMD Zen chips will be hard to come by this year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTNetwork Infrastructure SpecialistSA
- CCSenior Data ArchitectNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160801/AP/258Asia
- CCNetwork Engineer - NV2 ClearanceVIC
- FTCitrix SpecialistACT
- CCDatabase developer/ModellerACT
- CCMac (iOS) Support Engineer - $30 p/h - Three Year ContractNSW
- CCProject Manager, Credit CardsNSW
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- FTDesktop Specialist - Application PackagingACT
- FTJava DeveloperVIC
- FTService Desk ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/J2EE/MyEclise) 160721/AP/vmpAsia
- FTSAP Basis ConsultantVIC
- CCCRM Technical Consultant / DeveloperNSW
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- FTServicenow DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Systems AdministratorQLD
- CCSystems AdministratorSA
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- CCHigh Severity Incident ManagerVIC
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- FTDefence Network Architect | NV2ACT