Avatec LCDAC-W320F8 LCD TV
- Cheap, great computer support.
- Slight colour shift problems.
A cheap, large screen solution with satisfactory visual performance.
Price$ 1,690.00 (AUD)
Avatec, a local distributor of LCD televisions, have impressed us before with their outstandingly cheap range of LCD TVs, and their 32" model is no exception to this. The standout feature of this display is definitely its price. Avatec has one of the lowest RRPs available on the market, and the display qualities of the screen are satisfactory. We could see this screen being a great introduction for consumers on a budget, and who are new to the big screen, high-definition flat panel market.
The TV's design is simple and effective. The black and silver frame does not distract from the display, and this is quite rare in a market full of overzealous and often gimmicky designs. Beside the screen are two 5 watt stereo speakers which provide enough audio support for casual TV viewing. If you are planning to create a full home theatre experience, we recommend a set of multi channel speakers such as LG's LH-W750TA . The inputs available on the Avatec LCD include high definition inputs, such as the component (Y-Pb-Pr) and DVI port. There is also an S-Video, composite and video out port available. This provides enough connectivity for most viewing, but it does not include the popular HDMI input, which is slowly becoming more common on high-definition capable display panels.
We set the 32" panel up with a variety of sources including the internal analogue TV tuner, HDTV, DVD and a computer, without any problems. We were thoroughly impressed using the panel with the computer source, enough so that we could see this being used permanently as a monitor. Viewing at resolutions of up to 1280*768 with clarity, we were able to have a completely filled screen with no apparent text scaling effects. The only other LCD panel we have reviewed which was capable of this was Sony's 32" Bravia, although there exists significant image quality between the two panels as outlined below.
Display qualities of the LCD were not outstanding but adequate., not showing any particular faults or visual artifacts. Colour response was clean over the spectrum and skin tones were exceptional. There was a slight colour shift in the vertical axis, which is an indicator of a low contrast ratio, but this was negligible across the horizontal viewing plane. Generally, there is not much variation of viewing in the vertical, so the vertical response is not as important horizontal viewing angle, which was stable for up to 165 degrees. Overall, this seems to be quite an exceptional performance for a brand without a reputation to back it up.
Optional extended warranties of 24 and 36 months are available. The cost of these extended warranties is $129 and $169 respectively, which does reduce the competitiveness in price of the display, but it's good to know that such extras are available.
The Avatec 32" LCDAC-W320F8 LCD isn't quite up to the performance of other well known brands such as Sony and Samsung, but it does produce quite a respectable image. We could find no significant degradation in the produced image and for the price, the Avatec 32" LCD is an affordable and suitable solution for consumers looking for a large, high definition capable LCD display.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 2 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 3 Parrot Mambo Drone review
- 4 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 5 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Say goodbye to Apple's third-generation Apple TV
- Japan gears up for 8K TV broadcasting
- NHK's latest 8K display is large, thin and beautiful
- Japan starts 8K TV broadcasts in time for Rio Olympics
- Android TV's universal search feature finally works with Netflix
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- TV buying guide: What to look for when buying a TV in 2016
- Best iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plans: Optus vs Telstra vs Vodafone vs Virgin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager (Marketing Automation)NSW
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistVIC
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCDigital Solutions ManagerNSW
- CCNetwork Capacity PlannerVIC
- FTSolutions ArchitectNSW
- FTData Governance Project Manager | 6 month ContractNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - Site MoveNSW
- CCSenior Solution Designer, Wealth ManagementNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCResident Operation Support Engineer (Renewable Contract)Asia
- CCIteration ManagerVIC
- CCApplication Support AnalystVIC
- CCPerformance AnalystNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- FTSolution Delivery ManagerVIC
- CCSAP Finance Business AnalystNSW
- CCContract Management SpecialistNSW
- CCSitecore DeveloperNSW
- CCOracle Functional Consultant | 6mth ContractVIC
- FTSenior Consultant Commercial PricingVIC
- FTSenior Architect | Perl | Linux |MySQL | Infrastructure | TelecomNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Web) 161011/AP/145Asia
- CCHead of Digital (Technology Manager - Digital Transformations)NSW