Avast 4 Home Edition
- FREE!, high performance protection, virus isolation, regular virus definitions updates
- None to speak of.
With a wide array of protections for your PC, Avast! works superbly to keep your computer safe, a rare thing in free software.
When you talk anti-virus software pretty much everyone has heard of Norton Anti-Virus. While Symantec's anti-virus suite is very good and overtly popular, there is a quiet achiever available for download from the internet that is updated more frequently, uses less system resources, is more effective and most of importantly of all, is absolutely free.
Avast! Anti-virus is a superb package with protection for a wide range of programs that interact with the internet from your home PC. We have decided to review the Home Edition, since this is the free edition. Professional Edition is exactly the same, but has to be paid for in a commercial environment. The Professional Edition is available as part of one of four suites which are targeted at server protection and protection for large intranets.
Avast! Home Edition is an extremely simple 10.02 MB download and requires no registration. Many websites with apparently "free" programs tend to fill their programs with advertising or make you register with them to receive the program. Suddenly, without warning, your email inbox becomes a haven for hundreds of Viagra related emails. When Avast! Offers something for free it is exactly that, with no strings attached.
Installation is very easy but will require a restart of your PC. Once you have restarted, an initial scan of your computer will begin. While it is a long and painful process, resist the temptation to skip it because if you have a virus, leaving it there could be disastrous. When we had Norton installed we had no Viruses on our system but after uninstalling it and setting up Avast! We found three Trojans straight off the bat. Once a virus is found you have the option of obliterating it or sending it off to a holding area called "the chest". Once there you can examine it closely and make sure it is a virus before you remove it. Some anti-virus programs mistake key components of Windows Media Player and other programs as viruses, you need to be careful when neutralising a virus, just in case it is something important.
Avast! offers protection on several fronts while using the internet. As part of the standard resident protection it has various "shields" which watch over Instant Messenger, Peer to Peer, Internet mail, Outlook/Exchange Mail and a general shield for your network. For the most part, you will never know that Avast! is running, but when a malicious file is detected, klaxon alarms blare from your computer and Avast! requests instructions. Infected files downloaded over a Peer to Peer client were found immediately and access to the files was suspended, even to the point of no longer appearing in Windows explorer. We then moved the files to the virus chest and looked at them. Infected by a Trojan virus, we deleted the file and our system remained was cleaned.
Whereas Norton Anti-Virus has intermittent virus definition updates, we found that Avast! updated the virus database more frequently which translates to thorough protection against new viruses. Also, for most part Avast! uses far less system resources than any other anti-virus software we have seen. There were times when it was resource hungry, but these events were rare.
Easily the best thing Avast! has going for it, besides its outstanding performance, is the interface. All the protection elements on offer are easily configurable, easy to understand and can be operated even by the most novice of users. Generally, most anti-virus software we have used tends to be overly complicated and catered for expert users without any consideration for the average Joe.
Avast! is a high performance anti-virus software that blows away the competition. As much as we have loved the anti-virus software from Norton and McAfee in the past, we have been converted to Avast! and not just because we love getting something for nothing. Being a free download does make this package far more attractive for the average user and with 64bit processors becoming more commonplace, the fact that Avast! supports Windows XP 64bit Edition also rates very highly with us too.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
- Here's how Evernote moved 3 petabytes of data to Google's cloud
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistACT
- TPJava DeveloperVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPChange and Communications CoordinatorQLD
- CCBPM Technical AnalystVIC
- FTInfrastructure Architect (Adelaide Based)VIC
- CCCloud Security Solutions Architect - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPICT Project CoordinatorQLD
- CCProject ManagerSA
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Networks Specialist - DNS PlatformVIC
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW
- TPOracle Consultant - CC&BQLD
- CCBPM DeveloperVIC
- TPBI Commercial AnalystVIC
- TPSCCM SpecialistVIC
- CCFullstack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCNetIQ Development & SupportNSW
- CCDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Contract - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCCA ITCM / ITCA Engineer with some hands-on knowledge of scripting.NSW
- FTAnalyst Programmer (Natural/Adabas)SA
- FTHRIS ConsultantQLD