Autodesk Maya 2011
Debuting in Maya 2011 is the Camera Sequencer which manages multiple camera shots in an animation sequence.
- 64-bit support Mac for Mac OS X, improved performance and productivity, enhanced character animation, new Camera Sequencer, updated dynamics
- Comparatively expensive, steep learning curve, needs better 3D painting system.
Maya 2011 delivers important performance and workflow improvements including 64-bit support for Mac OS X. With 64-bit support Mac users can access valuable computing resources and take advantage of the performance improvements available in this release. Performance and computing boosts aside, much of what’s new in Maya 2011 focuses on its traditional strengths: character animation and dynamics.
Price$ 3,495.00 (AUD)
Maya is the de facto application for 3D character animation, but even in Maya rigging a character for animation is often a tedious chore. Fortunately, in Maya 2011 rigging is a bit easier with new interactive skin binding which sets up initial skin weights via a weighting manipulator (like a scale or move manipulator). Once done the initial weights can be refined with the paint weighting tools which have also been improved with tools to copy, paste, and move weights, better selection, and improved colour feedback.
Debuting in Maya 2011 is the Camera Sequencer which manages multiple camera shots in an animation sequence. The Camera Sequencer allows animators to experiment with camera choreography from scratch within Maya or to import an EDL from Final Cut for instance and compose and frame scenes and set up object and camera animations using the EDL data. The Camera Sequences can also import associated video, audio, and timing information. Once camera shots are orchestrated the Camera Sequences produces pre-viz movies of the animation. The new Camera Sequencer is like having a bit of After Effects or Final Cut inside Maya.
However, even with careful weighting deformations in some joints can cause the mesh to twist and lose volume producing what is known as a “candy wrapper” effect. To alleviate this problem Maya 2011 introduces a dual quaternion skinning option (in addition to linear skinning) that attenuates unwanted skinning artefacts.
Another character rigging time saver is integration of the HumanIK solver in Maya 2011. The Human IK solver makes it possible to quickly retarget (transfer) animation data like motion capture information from one character to another, regardless of differences in size, proportions and bone hierarchy between the characters. Once animation data is applied to the target character its animation may be edited via animation layers.
In a never ending effort to produce better fluids simulations in this release Maya Fluid Effects ships with important new options. The new Self Attraction and Repulsion attributes create forces between particles that more faithfully reproduce the natural behaviours of swirling or expanding gases. Geared towards improved computing performance the new Auto Resize option resizes the simulation’s container as needed instead of keeping it at a fixed size.
To improve the realism of clouds, plumes of smoke, and other gas simulations Maya 2011 ships with new additions to the Attributes Editor that control lighting inside the simulation. For example, Shadow Diffusion controls shadow softness and light scattering, Light Type produces internal illumination, and Ambient Lighting manages the intensity, colour and diffusion of ambient light in the simulation. All new lighting controls may be previewed in the scene prior to rendering.
Maya’s revolutionary Nucleus technology nParticles and nCloth have also been updated with new options. For instance, nParticles can now emit fluids (classic particles may also emit fluids). Additional attributes like per-particle rotations, collision ramps, and very cool surface tension and viscosity properties take nParticle simulations to a new level of hyper-realism. Not to be outdone nCloth features a new collide strength attribute that specifies the force of collisions between nCloth and other Nucleus objects. A new Bend solver resolves problems with intersections and flipped polygons and the new Rest Length Scale tool determines the texture and surface properties of nCloth objects.
Important productivity improvements in Maya 2011 include better assets management to more efficiently organize large scenes, create assets from templates, enable asset repurposing, and exchange asset data without file referencing. Also a new display option improves the display of very heavy scenes (many models and textures), and the user interface itself has been updated to the Qt framework shared by other Autodesk applications.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
- Here's how Evernote moved 3 petabytes of data to Google's cloud
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBranch Practice Manager - SecurityQLD
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- CCFront-End DeveloperQLD
- CCManager AnalyticsNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectNSW
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- TPSolution Architect - IntegrationQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)QLD
- TPMicrosoft Analyst ProgrammerSA
- CCADABAS Natural DeveloperNSW
- FTAnalyst Programmer (Natural/Adabas)SA
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- CCBusiness/Process AnalystNSW
- CCData Migration Consultant - LeadNSW
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer -NetApp & TSMNSW
- TPDigital Strategist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- TPSQL DeveloperQLD
- TPICT Contracts Compliance ManagerWA
- CCMultiple System Engineers - Data Centre - TelcoVIC
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- CCService Designer (CX)NSW
- TPProject OfficerQLD
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- TPBusiness Intelligence Program ManagerVIC
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT