Auto FX Photo/Graphic Edges 7.0 Platinum Edition
The clumsily named Photo/Graphic Edges 7.0 Platinum Edition (PGE 7.0) – is a powerful but heavily flawed plug-in for adding borders and frames to images.
- Huge number of effects, powerful set of controls
- Unbearably slow to use, poor compositional tools, image import bug
The clumsily named Photo/Graphic Edges 7.0 Platinum Edition (PGE 7.0) — is a powerful but heavily flawed plug-in for adding borders and frames to images.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
NOTE: Pricing for this product is in US$.
Photo/Graphic Edges 7.0 Platinum Edition (PGE 7.0) contains hundreds of border and frame effects, which is why you have to buy it on DVD. They are split into eight edge types, from Darkroom to Vignette, ten effects from Transfer to Smudged Edges, and 13 frame types from Film to Storyboards. There are also Adornments – objects that you can add over the top of your frames, from flowers to nails — and subtle edge effects called Overlays. New in version 7 is the Preset button, which offers a choice of presets for each effect that Auto FX feels works well with another.
For many creatives, the main flaw with PGE 7.0 is that the majority of its pre-canned borders and frame — whether the standard effects settings or the full-on presets — are cheesier than fondue. With some tweaking, it’s possible to create something non-cheesy, but the workflow is tortuous.
PGE 7.0 is slower than an upturned tortoise. Even on our well-specced Mac with moderate-sized images, every change we made was followed by a five- to ten-second wait. Options include Effects, Background, Mood and Lighting tabs. There are so many, in fact, that playing around with them is the best way to learn – but it’s too slow.
You can work with layers and multiple images, but this is fiddly compared to Photoshop. Controls you’d expect, such as cursor-key nudges and visual controls over edge size, are missing. We also found a major bug when you use presets with multiple frames, as other images you import to fill those frames often come in with the wrong aspect ratio.
PGE 7.0 works as a Smart Filter but doesn’t support CMYK or 16-bit images.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
- YouTube is bringing live broadcasting for all to its mobile apps
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTProgram Master SchedulerVIC
- CCAccounts Reconciliation Officer/ AdministratorNSW
- CCUI/UX DeveloperVIC
- CCMac (iOS) Support Engineer - $30 p/h - Three Year ContractNSW
- CCIP & Fixed Process Improvement SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Contracts Officer/Procurement -Governmen BckgrndNSW
- CCSQL DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/MySQL) 1600803/SA/255Asia
- FTSystems Applications ManagerACT
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- FTEnvironment Management AnalystACT
- CCAgile Scrum MasterACT
- FTPortfolio & Program Management ManagerVIC
- FTSAP Team LeadVIC
- FTInfrastructure Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- CCDevOps EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Oracle Functional Analyst (Finance)VIC
- FTRuby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- FTSystems Administrator, Linux, Networking, AWSNSW
- FTJDE DeveloperVIC
- FTNetwork Infrastructure SpecialistSA
- FTCloud EngineerVIC
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperNSW
- CCPeopleSoft Consultant (Financial)NSW