Auto FX Photo/Graphic Edges 7.0 Platinum Edition
The clumsily named Photo/Graphic Edges 7.0 Platinum Edition (PGE 7.0) – is a powerful but heavily flawed plug-in for adding borders and frames to images.
- Huge number of effects, powerful set of controls
- Unbearably slow to use, poor compositional tools, image import bug
The clumsily named Photo/Graphic Edges 7.0 Platinum Edition (PGE 7.0) — is a powerful but heavily flawed plug-in for adding borders and frames to images.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
NOTE: Pricing for this product is in US$.
Photo/Graphic Edges 7.0 Platinum Edition (PGE 7.0) contains hundreds of border and frame effects, which is why you have to buy it on DVD. They are split into eight edge types, from Darkroom to Vignette, ten effects from Transfer to Smudged Edges, and 13 frame types from Film to Storyboards. There are also Adornments – objects that you can add over the top of your frames, from flowers to nails — and subtle edge effects called Overlays. New in version 7 is the Preset button, which offers a choice of presets for each effect that Auto FX feels works well with another.
For many creatives, the main flaw with PGE 7.0 is that the majority of its pre-canned borders and frame — whether the standard effects settings or the full-on presets — are cheesier than fondue. With some tweaking, it’s possible to create something non-cheesy, but the workflow is tortuous.
PGE 7.0 is slower than an upturned tortoise. Even on our well-specced Mac with moderate-sized images, every change we made was followed by a five- to ten-second wait. Options include Effects, Background, Mood and Lighting tabs. There are so many, in fact, that playing around with them is the best way to learn – but it’s too slow.
You can work with layers and multiple images, but this is fiddly compared to Photoshop. Controls you’d expect, such as cursor-key nudges and visual controls over edge size, are missing. We also found a major bug when you use presets with multiple frames, as other images you import to fill those frames often come in with the wrong aspect ratio.
PGE 7.0 works as a Smart Filter but doesn’t support CMYK or 16-bit images.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 3 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
- 5 Parrot Mambo Drone review
Latest News Articles
- 2016 will be 1 second longer: Google can help you cope
- Microsoft declares summer's Windows 10 upgrade fit for business
- Stop pouting: Google’s Santa Tracker is updated just in time for the Christmas countdown
- You can finally watch Netflix offline now
- How to clear unwanted autofill entries in Google Chrome
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCResource/ Workforce AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Software Engineer Developer | 6mthsVIC
- CCDigital Producer | 3 Month Contract roleNSW
- FTPrincipal Project ManagerNSW
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW
- CCExchange EngineerNSW
- FTSecurity ConsultantQLD
- CCC ProgrammerACT
- CCSenior PMO Coordinator, FinanceNSW
- PTRecruitment ConsultantWA
- CCSenior Platform Developer/ArchitectNSW
- FTSecurity EngineerVIC
- CCFunctional Consultant - Brisbane locationVIC
- CCUI DesignerNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence Technical AnalystVIC
- TPSAP FICO Functional AnalystQLD
- FTEnterprise Account ManagerQLD
- CCWorkbrain Functional ExpertQLD
- FTTraining CoordinatorNSW
- CCEOI - TIBCO DeveloperWA
- CCBusiness Analyst - BI, DataNSW
- FTSenior Projects Engineer | Systems Integration and IT Managed ServicesNSW
- FTIdentity Management Team LeaderVIC
- CCMainframe ArchitectVIC
- PTSenior Software Engineer Developer | 6mthsSA