Auto FX Photo/Graphic Edges 7.0 Platinum Edition
The clumsily named Photo/Graphic Edges 7.0 Platinum Edition (PGE 7.0) – is a powerful but heavily flawed plug-in for adding borders and frames to images.
- Huge number of effects, powerful set of controls
- Unbearably slow to use, poor compositional tools, image import bug
The clumsily named Photo/Graphic Edges 7.0 Platinum Edition (PGE 7.0) — is a powerful but heavily flawed plug-in for adding borders and frames to images.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
NOTE: Pricing for this product is in US$.
Photo/Graphic Edges 7.0 Platinum Edition (PGE 7.0) contains hundreds of border and frame effects, which is why you have to buy it on DVD. They are split into eight edge types, from Darkroom to Vignette, ten effects from Transfer to Smudged Edges, and 13 frame types from Film to Storyboards. There are also Adornments – objects that you can add over the top of your frames, from flowers to nails — and subtle edge effects called Overlays. New in version 7 is the Preset button, which offers a choice of presets for each effect that Auto FX feels works well with another.
For many creatives, the main flaw with PGE 7.0 is that the majority of its pre-canned borders and frame — whether the standard effects settings or the full-on presets — are cheesier than fondue. With some tweaking, it’s possible to create something non-cheesy, but the workflow is tortuous.
PGE 7.0 is slower than an upturned tortoise. Even on our well-specced Mac with moderate-sized images, every change we made was followed by a five- to ten-second wait. Options include Effects, Background, Mood and Lighting tabs. There are so many, in fact, that playing around with them is the best way to learn – but it’s too slow.
You can work with layers and multiple images, but this is fiddly compared to Photoshop. Controls you’d expect, such as cursor-key nudges and visual controls over edge size, are missing. We also found a major bug when you use presets with multiple frames, as other images you import to fill those frames often come in with the wrong aspect ratio.
PGE 7.0 works as a Smart Filter but doesn’t support CMYK or 16-bit images.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 3 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 4 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 5 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
Latest News Articles
- LastPass is scrambling to fix another serious vulnerability
- New Google Home partnerships expand the smart speaker’s footprint in the smart home
- If Google Assistant isn't your thing, you can now talk to Cortana on the lock screen
- Razer’s updated Blade Pro is the first ever THX-certified laptop
- 10 powerful, obscure Windows keyboard shortcuts you should know
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- Subaru XV 2017 review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTLevel 3 Systems EngineerNSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistNSW
- FTLevel 2 Technical Support OfficerQLD
- FTJava Development Lead/ / Senior Java DeveloperVIC
- FT.Net Solutions DeveloperSA
- FTChief Architect - Principal ArchitectVIC
- CCProject AdministratorNSW
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTDevelopment Team LeadQLD
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTAgile Test AnalystQLD
- CCDeployment GraduatesSA
- FTAgile TesterNSW
- FTKey Account ManagerVIC
- CCLevel 1 IT Support OfficerACT
- CCICT ManagerNSW
- FTSolutions Architects - 10 roles availableACT
- CCUnix/Linux Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCSenior Developer - Oracle - TelcoVIC
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTAEM Architect - Blue Chip companyNSW
- TPApplication Support EngineerQLD
- CC.NET Developer!QLD