Auto FX Photo/Graphic Edges 7.0 Platinum Edition
The clumsily named Photo/Graphic Edges 7.0 Platinum Edition (PGE 7.0) – is a powerful but heavily flawed plug-in for adding borders and frames to images.
- Huge number of effects, powerful set of controls
- Unbearably slow to use, poor compositional tools, image import bug
The clumsily named Photo/Graphic Edges 7.0 Platinum Edition (PGE 7.0) — is a powerful but heavily flawed plug-in for adding borders and frames to images.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
NOTE: Pricing for this product is in US$.
Photo/Graphic Edges 7.0 Platinum Edition (PGE 7.0) contains hundreds of border and frame effects, which is why you have to buy it on DVD. They are split into eight edge types, from Darkroom to Vignette, ten effects from Transfer to Smudged Edges, and 13 frame types from Film to Storyboards. There are also Adornments – objects that you can add over the top of your frames, from flowers to nails — and subtle edge effects called Overlays. New in version 7 is the Preset button, which offers a choice of presets for each effect that Auto FX feels works well with another.
For many creatives, the main flaw with PGE 7.0 is that the majority of its pre-canned borders and frame — whether the standard effects settings or the full-on presets — are cheesier than fondue. With some tweaking, it’s possible to create something non-cheesy, but the workflow is tortuous.
PGE 7.0 is slower than an upturned tortoise. Even on our well-specced Mac with moderate-sized images, every change we made was followed by a five- to ten-second wait. Options include Effects, Background, Mood and Lighting tabs. There are so many, in fact, that playing around with them is the best way to learn – but it’s too slow.
You can work with layers and multiple images, but this is fiddly compared to Photoshop. Controls you’d expect, such as cursor-key nudges and visual controls over edge size, are missing. We also found a major bug when you use presets with multiple frames, as other images you import to fill those frames often come in with the wrong aspect ratio.
PGE 7.0 works as a Smart Filter but doesn’t support CMYK or 16-bit images.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
- 2 Playing chicken with a Tesla Model S
- 3 Audi TT (2015) review: A smarter take on the sports coupe
- 4 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
- 5 Apple Watch review: saving time
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Winners of our ESET Antivirus competition announced
- How a burglar can make a copy of your door key, from a Facebook picture
- Get a sneak peek of Michael Fassbender as Steve Jobs in new full-length trailer
- Taylor Swift slams Apple for not paying artists during Apple Music trial
- Vulnerability found in Samsung smartphone keyboard
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTPR & Corporate Affairs ManagerNSW
- FTMedia and Communications AdvisorACT
- CCSenior Drupal DeveloperNSW
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- CCDrupal DeveloperNSW
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- CCInternal Communications AdvisorNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW