AudioPro ACE-Bass 2
- Extraordinary speed and detail, compact form factor, plenty of window-rattling power
Being such a small unit, it's not going to pop your windows from their frames, but it will give them a good old rattle if you like your bass big. Highly recommended.
Price$ 2,999.00 (AUD)
A good subwoofer adds impact, substance and (quite literally) feeling to your aural experiences. A great subwoofer will do all this and then some--it'll even extend the frequency range of your system by alleviating some of the bass load from your main speakers. With such an important job in a hi-fi or home theatre system the task of finding the right subwoofer shouldn't be rushed. Performance is obviously key and should be uppermost in your mind when auditioning prospective purchases. In reality we're often dictated to by other, less exciting factors such as the size and layout of the lounge. If you find you're lacking in space and need a compact subwoofer that doesn't compromise on performance then we think we've found just the toy for you.
The ACE-Bass 2 from Swedish manufacturer Audio Pro is as compact as they come, yet provides a phenomenal amount of deep, clean, distortion-free sub-bass. One of the problems faced by subwoofer manufacturers is that of transient response--how quickly the woofer cone reacts to the audio signal and, just as importantly, how quickly it stops moving afterwards. Generally speaking, the larger the woofer the slower the transient response and the higher the distortion. Paradoxically, most subwoofer manufacturers tend to opt for large woofers (in excess of 10") in the quest to create deep, powerful bass. There are, however, ways of moving the same amount of air without the slow transient response and distortion associated with large woofers. Multiple small woofers are one such option--in the case of the ACE-Bass 2 sub, a quartet of 5.5"-long throw units with neodymium magnets are installed.
The absence of a traditional bass reflex port (which needs to be of a minimum length to be of any use) means AudioPro can substantially reduce the cabinet size. A 10" passive radiator on the front of the cabinet allows air to move but the sealed-box nature of the system means an incredibly powerful 500W D-Class amplifier has had to be installed.
On the back panel we find heavy-duty, binding post-style speaker level inputs and outputs plus an LFE-in (low frequency effects) socket and stereo line in and out sockets, and next to these are the variable low pass filter, phase and volume controls.
So has all this effort paid off? You bet it has. Musically I've yet to hear a modern subwoofer that can match the Audio Pro in terms of speed and detail. Play any up-tempo song with a strong bass line and you'll find the precision and depth with which that bass is reproduced quite astounding. Plucks of a bass guitar are clearly distinguishable from one another, even among the hubbub of a band's worth of instruments. Detail is outstanding too. Take any track from the Lisa Ekdahl/Peter Nordahl Trio album Back to Earth and listen for Patrik Boman's double bass; when he hits the real low notes you can almost reach out and feel the resonance of the instrument.
Home theatre nuts will also love the speed of the ACE-Bass 2. Machine gunfire in The Matrix or other similarly fast-paced movies transcends the constant blur of ordinary sub bass and every shot slams home as an individual entity. Best of all it integrated superbly with the mains (also Audio Pro in this case) and like all good subs it never once drew attention to itself.
Being such a small unit it's not going to pop your windows from their frames but it will give them a good old rattle if you like your bass big. Highly recommended.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCChange AnalystACT
- FTIT Service Desk Manager - Team LeaderNSW
- FTGraduate Technical ConsultantACT
- CCSystems AdministratorNSW
- FTFirewall EngineerNSW
- FTHelp Desk/ Desktop SupportSA
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- FTSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- FTTest AdvertSA
- CCEngineer/Developer - Splunk - TelcoVIC
- CCTechnical Consutlant - Entry Level - HPSMQLD
- FTContracts & Procurement Support OfficerACT
- FTElectronic Payments POS Business Analyst - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTBI BA Consultant l Microstrategy, Business ObjectsNSW
- CCSOE Business AnalystACT
- FTTest Automation Lead | 6mth ContractVIC
- FTOracle Database Administrator (DBA)SA
- FTHRIS Systems Support Analyst (Kronos)NSW
- CCCitrix SpecialistVIC
- FTProject Manager (Office 365 / Mobility)QLD
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTICT Program Manager- Transformation - Gov backgroundNSW
- CCSenior Full-Stack Developer (Digital Transformation Project)QLD