Atari Australia Super DBZ
- Awesome fighting techniques that date back from 2D arcade fighting games, simple and easy to pick up controls
- Ground to mid-air collision detection
Super DBZ is an awesome fighter which pays homage to the old school 2D arcade fighters of yore while also brining another engaging Dragon Ball title the PS2. IF you haven't owned any DBZ games before, this one is the one to pick up. If you're a diehard Budokai gamer, you might be surprised by the level of balance and quality Super DBZ sports compared to the other DBZ games. Either way, check Super DBZ out, it's really fun.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
The never ending deluge of Dragon Ball Z titles continues unabated, but this time Super DBZ follows up with an entirely new fighting engine, a few unique features, and a whole lot of old school arcade fighter-inspired butt kicking action.
The initial press barrage surrounding Super DBZ concentrated on the fact that key people responsible for the arcade fighting masterpiece Street Fighter II are working on Super DBZ's development team and this latest Dragon Ball Z game would play and feel more like the fighters of the bygone Street Fighter era than the home console brews of today's standards. For once the press releases got it right; Super DBZ not only pays homage to the old school fighters, but it also brings an entirely new and refreshing take on the 3D fighter genre.
Kaioken times one million!
Super DBZ features a multitude of familiar DBZ characters and stages, prerequisite modes, and an easy to use character customisation mode. You'll be able to play as 18 of your favourite DBZ characters, including Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Krillin, Piccolo, Trunks, Android 16, Android 17, Android 18, Frieza, Cell, Chi-Chi, Ultimate Gohan (from the Trunks future), Videl, Majin Boo, Cyborg Frieza (a newly designed character by Akira Toriyama specifically reconceptualised for this game), Majin Vegeta, and King Picocolo (from the original Dragon Ball universe).
You'll also be able to customise your characters by creating a Character Card (very similar to a player profile). Once you've created the card, you can select it and go through the Original mode or Z Survivor mode and accumulate Battle Points (which gradually buff your characters attributes), Experience Points, and collect Dragon Balls. The Experience Points can be traded in at the Customize mode to train your chosen Z warrior to acquire deadlier attacks, or adopt an attack from your characters rival. Collecting all seven Dragon Balls will allow you to call on the eternal dragon Shenron for a single wish. The wishes range from character buffs, new attack moves, to unlockable outfits and playable characters.
Senzu beans make me gassy
While all this is great, the gameplay is where Super DBZ truly shines. From the first time you load up and play Super DBZ, you'll notice the game religiously pays homage to the Akira Toriyama Dragon Ball universe, including long lost characters like Goku's wife Chi-Chi (who sports Goku's original magical staff, Bansho Fan, and the Flying Nimbus Cloud), and the evil King Piccolo, but also plays almost exactly like the classic 2D Street Fighter II arcade game.
The second thing you'll notice is that the controls are simple and easy to pick up. You have two primary attack buttons (light and strong), a jump button (double tapping the jump allows you to float in the air), a block button, a throw button, a parry button, and two dash buttons.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 3 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 4 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
- 5 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
Latest News Articles
- This week in games: Blizzard ditches Battle.net, Gears of War 4 adds PC split-screen
- Forza Horizon 3 (PC) review impressions: Get ready to make your graphics card sweat
- How Xbox Project Scorpio and the PS4 Pro can play 4K games: Visual compromises
- Games yanked from Steam after developer sues users for nasty negative reviews
- BioShock Remastered's brand new PC port is just as bad as the old one
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- CCContract Web Developer (160915/WD/vmp)Asia
- CCICT Security AuditorACT
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT