The VH236H LCD monitor has a 1920x1080 native 1080p high-definition resolution
- Showed crisp text and bright colours, includes a multitude of extra features
- Offers few physical adjustments
The VH236H has a 1920x1080 native 1080p high-definition resolution; and its admirable performance in our motion tests suits it for movies and other forms of entertainment. Its US$239 price tag makes it an even more appealing option.
The shiny, black Asus VH236H showed good image quality and smooth video in our subjective tests, making it a nice, well-priced monitor for entertainment-centric buyers. We also saw fine, easy-to-read text on both black and white backgrounds. Photographs generally looked lively and had realistic color, though colors in a few photos appeared slightly dull. The VH236H also handled our motion tests well, showing little visible fluttering. Its solid performance in those tests makes this monitor a good choice for gaming and other motion-intensive tasks.
This monitor hosts a multitude of ports on the rear, including HDMI, DVI, VGA, and audio-in, plus an S/PDIF jack. All are clearly labeled and easy to access, so plugging in cables is a breeze. The VH236H comes with a built-in speaker, which is adequate for basic office tasks but not for music or movies. Another noticeable shortcoming is the absence of any USB ports.
Five buttons on the front of the monitor manage the on-screen display, which is fairly easy to navigate. The OSD includes an array of brightness modes, such as scenery, standard, theater, and night view. A separate brightness control enables you to make more-minute adjustments. The display tilts but cannot swivel.
The VH236H has a 1920x1080 native 1080p high-definition resolution; and its admirable performance in our motion tests suits it for movies and other forms of entertainment. Its US$239 price tag makes it an even more appealing option in the current new monitor marketplace.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's wild 8K monitor goes on sale with a just-as-stunning price tag
- LG's 4K HDR monitor gets a price and release date, heralding a new era for PC displays
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- Subaru XV 2017 review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTAEM Architect - Blue Chip organisationNSW
- CCUnix/Linux Systems AdministratorNSW
- FTService Delivery ManagerWA
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!QLD
- CCSenior Test Analyst-InfrastructureNSW
- CCSenior Network Designer - CiscoVIC
- TPJava DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Oracle DeveloperVIC
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistNSW
- FTCitrix ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Applications - Data ReportingNSW
- TPSQL Server Developer | 3 month contract |NSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - HealthQLD
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTSOE Team LeaderACT
- FTProject AnalystVIC
- FTWeb DesignerACT
- CCDB2 System ProgrammerVIC
- CCSecurity Vetting OfficerACT
- CCDevOps Developer - TelcoVIC
- FTRelease Coordinator - Project ManagementQLD
- FTAgile Test AnalystQLD
- FTTechnical ConsultantACT