What is the Asus Transformer Book V?
Asus' new innovation is a 5-in-1 product for Windows and Android tasks
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- ASUS Transformer Pad(TF0310C) 16GB Intel Atom Z... 397.08
Serial innovator, Asus, is at it again in Computex. The company unveiled its Asus Transformer Book V product, which is a 12.5in laptop that is actually much more than a laptop.
ASUS calls it a "five-mode, three-in-one converged laptop", mainly because it's said to be three devices in one (a laptop, a tablet, and an Android phone), and all of those parts can make it run in five modes (as a Windows laptop, a Windows tablet, an Android tablet, an Android laptop, and even as an Android phone).
What we should mention right off the bat is that the laptop isn't actually a phone itself. The phone is a separate, dockable device with a 5in screen that can be attached to the laptop. The laptop's screen, which is a 12.5in IPS panel, is also detachable, and that's what makes the product turn into a Windows tablet. Android and Windows can both be run when the product is in laptop mode, but in tablet mode, Android can only be run when the phone is docked to the screen.
The hardware inside the device is Intel based, both for Windows and for Android. An Intel Core CPU runs the Windows 8.1 tablet, along with 4GB of RAM and a 128GB solid state drive. Meanwhile, the Android phone is based on an Intel Atom, quad-core CPU (Moorefield), with 2GB of RAM, 64GB of storage, and it's 4G/LTE.
It's the type of product that's sure to appeal to lovers of technology and innovation, but we're not sure how practical it all is. The laptop and tablet parts are understandable, but the addition of the phone tends to muddle things a little. We'll reserve our final judgement until we see the product in person, but previous Asus products with Windows and Android capabilities have felt more like a novelty than necessity.
Let us know in the comments if you're keen on this type of product and whether it would benefit your workflow. At the moment, there is no word on Australian availability or pricing.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple working on a fix for iPad Pros bricked by iOS 9.3.2
- As tablet sales take a dive, analysts expect smartphone vendors to launch convertibles
- Acer puts liquid cooling in its Switch Alpha 12 tablet
- Display expert: The 9.7-inch iPad Pro's color accuracy is “visually indistinguishable from perfect”
- 5 reasons why the 9.7-inch iPad Pro can't be a PC replacement
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract Programmer (MS SQL Server/SQL/Web) 160518/P/626Asia
- CCApplication DevelopersQLD
- CCSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTJunior Web Developer | CBD | Digital AgencyVIC
- CCRelease Manager, SAPNSW
- FTPeoplesoft CRM DeveloperWA
- FTMid-Level Full-Stack Java DeveloperVIC
- CCSolutions Architect - Enterprise ApplicationsNSW
- FTAzure ConsultantQLD
- CCProject Manager - HFCVIC
- CCTechnology Team Lead / Senior Developer - JavaNSW
- CCDevOps EngineerNSW
- FTPeopleSoft Finance Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCPEGA Developer / ConfigurerACT
- FTTester/Business AnalystWA
- CCSystems Analyst (HTML/JAVA/Wireless & Mobile) 160525/SA/443Asia
- CCTechnology Lead / Senior Developer - Java (Urgent)NSW
- CCSoftware DevelopersACT
- FTSOE SpecialistACT
- FTDynamics Project ManagerNSW
- CCOpen Source Specialist / Senior ConsultantQLD
- CCIT Assistant (Office Automation/Windows) 160517/ITA/884Asia
- CCSenior Service Desk ManagerNSW
- CCChange Manager- Success Factors/HCMNSW