ASUS Extreme AX600XT/HTVD
- Overclocking utility
- No VGA port, not up to standard for modern games
A reasonable choice for those who need DVI on a non gaming machine
Price$ 1.00 (AUD)
The Extreme X600XT is based on the X600 XT chip and has 128MB of GDDR memory installed. Its default clock speeds of 500MHz for the GPU and 742MHz for the memory provided decent scores in Unreal Tournament 2003, but it did not produce adequate frame rates in Doom 3 above the 800x600 resolution setting. A large heat sink and relatively quiet fan cool the GPU, but the memory does not have any cooling devices, and Asus also ships the card with an overclocking utility that can run this card at a maximum GPU/memory clock speed of 550MHz/780MHz. We tested with these settings and experienced good stability and image quality, while noticing a three frame-per-second (fps) boost in Doom 3.
This card is one of the few we have seen which does not have a standard VGA port on its bracket, but instead has only a DVI port and a high definition (HDMI) port. It does ship with a DVI-VGA adapter so an analog monitor can be connected to it, and it also ships with component cables to make use of the high definition output. Because it does not have an analog VGA port, the card does not have the typical capability to be used in multiple monitor situations. Regular TV-out functions are supported via S-Video and composite cables and video-in functionality is also a feature of this card. Apart from high-end connectivity, a good software bundle is also supplied and includes such titles as Deus Ex: Invisible War, PowerDirector 3 and Medi@show.
If gaming is not your main focus, but you require high definition output, then this card is worth considering.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Gaming desktops with AMD Zen chips will be hard to come by this year
- Surprise! Nvidia reveals a new Pascal-powered Titan X and it looks like an utter monster
- Seagate's 10TB Barracuda Pro is the world's largest consumer hard drive
- 3DMark Time Spy tested: We pit Radeon vs. GeForce in this major new DX12 benchmark
- Nvidia's powerful Ansel screenshot tool and amusing VR Funhouse demo go live
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/MySQL) 1600803/SA/255Asia
- CCMac (iOS) Support Engineer - $30 p/h - Three Year ContractNSW
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- FTSenior Oracle Functional Analyst (Finance)VIC
- FTSCCM Applications PackagerWA
- FTFull stack (back end focus) Java Developer | Defence | NV1ACT
- CCDeployment ManagerACT
- CCService Design AnalystNSW
- CCUI/UX DeveloperVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (HP-UX/Oracle RDBMS) 160720/SA/113Asia
- CCPortfolio ManagerVIC
- FTProject Coordinator- NSW Government - reform BackgroundNSW
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTSolution Architect - Digital (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- FTPortal DeveloperNSW
- CCTest ManagerVIC
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- FTService Desk Team LeadNSW
- FTJava DeveloperVIC
- FTPortfolio Project Governance AnalystNSW
- CCGuidewire Developer - Policy Center 8NSW
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerVIC
- CCApplication Tester - Windows 10 ProjectWA