ASUS Extreme 7800 GT
- Powerful, great bundle
- Nothing of note
The ASUS 7800 GT is a solid performer with an impressive software bundle. Its retail price is reasonable for a card based on this NVIDIA chipset.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
The ASUS Extreme N7800 GT is quite similar to its more powerful sibling - the ASUS 7800 GTX TOP - with the most noticeable difference being the much smaller cooling fan. Under the bonnet is a core running at 400MHz, a memory clock of 1GHz, 256MB of GDDR3 memory, 20 pixel pipelines and seven vertex processors.
The differences between this card and the one based on the 7800 GTX are the clock and memory speeds (430MHz and 1200MHz, respectively) as well as the pixel pipelines and vertex processors (24 and eight, respectively). The N7800GT is well designed with good airflow from a 40mm fan blowing over thin aluminium leaves. It has the standard support for VIVO, SLI and two DVI ports.
It scored 6336 in 3DMark2005, and notched up 102.5fps when running Doom 3 at ultrahigh quality mode without antialiasing. Relative to the ASUS 7800 GTX TOP it is a solid performer, only 3fps shy in the ultrahigh quality Doom 3 test.
Its software bundle is impressive: ASUS driver utilities plus Project Snowblind, Medi@Show SE 2.0, ASUS DVD, Power Director 3DE, Xpand Rally and Joint Operations. A PCI Express power splitter and CD case is included also. The supplied software is not a clincher of course - performance should be your main consideration when buying a graphics card, but it may sway you to buy this card over another similarly priced card that doesn't come with such a rich bundle
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Corsair's K70 RGP Rapidfire features new gaming-focused Cherry MX switches
- The Asus ROG GT51CA has a weird ROG Band wearable that unlocks a hidden hard drive
- HP wants to turn your Mac into a 44-core Windows PC
- New Ninja desktops roar with Intel's 72-core supercomputing chip
- Chipmakers share the pain as PC, tablet, and smartphone sales decline
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract Analyst/Programmer II (Drupal 7.39/PHP) 160427/CAP/vccAsia
- CCSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- CCPortfolio Manager - Customer Service SystemVIC
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- FTTechnical Lead (Guidewire Policy Center)NSW
- CCHi-Portfolio ConsultantNSW
- CCIT Network SpecialistVIC
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160428/AP/143Asia
- CCFront End DeveloperWA
- CCServiceNow / SACM ConsultantNSW
- FTGraduate IT Administration SupportVIC
- CCSAP BW developerVIC
- FTData AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork ConsultantNSW
- CCProcurement Contract SpecialistQLD
- FTSystem EngineerACT
- CCUser Experience ExpertVIC
- CCInfrastructure Engineer - Windows, VMWare, HyperVWA
- CCProject Coordinator (urgent) - Digital - Blue chip companyNSW
- CCNetwork DesignerVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - HealthcareVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (C++/JAVA/SQL) 160505/SA/971Asia
- FTSenior Application SpecialistACT
- FTHands-on Service Desk Team Lead | Blackburn | Managed Service ProviderVIC
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW