ASUS EN7800 GT TOP Silencer
- Great cooling, Powerful
Overall the card was reliable and performed well. It's perfect for a silent PC and would be an ideal addition to any lounge-dwelling media centre PC that is used for gaming.
Price$ 729.00 (AUD)
Proponents of silent computer systems usually have to compromise on the performance of the system when it comes to selecting the quietest components. Often, this means installing an entry-level or mid-range graphics card without any fans. Fans are a quiet PC's worst enemy. The ASUS EN7800GT TOP Silencer, on the other hand, offers good performance without any pesky fan noise.
It's based on a version of the NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT graphics chip, which is clocked at 420MHz (faster than the standard 400MHz clock speed of this chip), has 256MB of GDDR3 memory, which is clocked at 1.24GHz (faster than the 1GHz standard) and enables the latest games to be played at high resolutions and with image enhancements enabled.
Considering its speed, it's amazing that this card is cooled only by large aluminum heat sinks - it has no fans. One heat sink is attached directly to the graphics chip and heat-pipes transfer heat from it to another, hinged, heat sink, which can be shifted 90 degrees and positioned above your CPU's fan. The extra heat sink definitely makes this card very large. It gets very hot when the card is under load, so you will need at least one case fan to extract the heat that it generates.
In performance tests, the card was stable while running between 85 and 90 degrees. In Quake 4, the card scored 50 frames per second (fps) at a resolution of 1280x1024 and with 4x anti-aliasing (AA) enabled. In F.E.A.R, the card averaged 33fps at 1280x960 with 4xAA. In a closed Antec PlusView full-tower case, the card did not freeze at all during prolonged testing with the aforementioned games.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- AMD packs 1TB SSD into a GPU for better VR and gaming
- AMD's new SSG Technology blends an SSD with a GPU?!
- AMD's Radeon Pro WX GPUs can create VR content for under $1,000
- Nvidia's latest Quadro GPU delivers a blistering 12 teraflops of performance
- Gaming desktops with AMD Zen chips will be hard to come by this year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCDirector - Technical Upgrade Program- Data migration, InfraNSW
- FTJDE DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Project OfficerACT
- FTSenior Architect, Marketing and Campaign ManagementNSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperSA
- CCSenior Business Analyst with Product Management experienceVIC
- CCIOS DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Systems SpecialistNSW
- CCIT/Telco Graduate | 12mth ContractVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence - Policy and Governance ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160726/AP/186Asia
- CCTest Manager - Baseline SecurityVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE) 160721/AP/075Asia
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCHelpdesk OfficersNSW
- FTChange and Release ManagerVIC
- CCSales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCAccounts Reconciliation Officer/ AdministratorNSW
- CCCRM Technical Consultant / DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Business Process AnalystNSW
- CCPortfolio AnalystVIC
- CCOracle Pl/SQL DeveloperNSW
- CCPre-Sales Consulting Business AnalystVIC