ASUS Eee PC 1008HA Seashell netbook
We take a look at the netbook that some people are comparing to an Apple MacBook: the Asus Eee PC 1008HA Seashell.
- Comfortable keyboard, thin, light
- We're yet to benchmark the Eee PC 1008HA Seashell (we tested a preproduction model and are yet to conduct benchmarks)
Without properly benchmarking the Asus Eee PC 1008HA Seashell, we can't give a definitive verdict. But the early signs look good, and we think the Asus Eee PC 1008HA Seashell will be a winner.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
The Asus Eee PC 1008HA Seashell is thin, sleek, and light. Asus may be spitting out more revisions of its Asus Eee PC netbook line than we can count, but at least its designers are continuing to look at ways to refine the machine. The proof is in this new netbook.
Under its frosty exterior, the Asus Eee PC 1008HA Seashell sports current netbook innards: an Intel Atom N280 CPU, 1GB RAM, a 160GB hard drive, Bluetooth, 802.11n, and a three-cell battery.
The 92-percent full-size keyboard is big and comfortable, with a good layout. The Asus Eee PC 1008HA Seashell's buttons feel firm and large enough to type up a quick story. Even the metallic mouse-button bar is reasonably secure.
That said, we're a little concerned about the Asus Eee PC 1008HA Seashell's touchpad. On the device that we tried, we found little indication between where the touch area ends and where the wrist rest begins. But a spokesman assured us that the final unit will have bigger grooves so that users can feel their way around without having to eyeball the strike zone.
To accommodate the Asus Eee PC 1008HA Seashell's thin-and-light design, the creators of the 1008HA dropped a few ports — and made an interesting design move in the process. In a hidden compartment on the netbook's bottom sits a VGA adaptor dongle. When you need it, you simply pop it out and plug it into the mini-USB port on one side of the machine.
This is a pretty smart move that keeps the Asus Eee PC 1008HA Seashell's functionality while cutting down the size, and it minimises the chance of losing dongles.
Otherwise, on the Asus Eee PC 1008HA Seashell you'll find hiding behind flaps the usual retinue Ᾱ an Ethernet hookup, two USB ports, an SD Card reader, and headphone and microphone jacks.
One last thing that we need to mention is the sneak peek we had at the software that Asus plans to bring to its future machines.
The Asus Eee PC 1008HA Seashell's interface gives quick access to a host of shortcuts for useful features. The more interesting ones fall under tabs called 'Eee Arena' and 'Eee Sharing'. The Arena is basically Asus's attempt at creating an online download site for songs, videos, and games.
The Eee Sharing feature simplifies syncing documents between the Eee PC and other computers (as well as uploading files to online storage).
The Eee PC 1008HA has a lot to like, based on our initial glance. Once we've had a chance to lay our mitts on this little beaut in its final iteration, we'll be able to give you a definitive call on its performance. Stay tuned.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Windows 10's power-throttling feature will benefit battery-hungry laptops
- Microsoft's next Surface may be a Chromebook competitor for schools
- US says laptop ban may expand to more airports
- Intel's Cannonlake PC chip shipments may slip into next year
- Razer’s updated Blade Pro is the first ever THX-certified laptop
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSalesforce Project LeadQLD
- FTBI Report DeveloperQLD
- FTIT Service Owner - Supply Chain TechnologiesNSW
- FTBI BA Consultant l Microstrategy, Business ObjectsNSW
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTFront End Web DeveloperACT
- FTFront End .Net Developer. Permanent job . ACT LocationACT
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- CCProject Communications and Engagement SpecialistQLD
- TPData AnalystVIC
- FTSystem AnalystsACT
- CCMaster Data Analyst - SAPNSW
- FTSenior C# DeveloperNSW
- CCTest Analyst - Infrastructure - NV1 ClearanceACT
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerQLD
- FTData Analyst - Tableau and Power BI suiteNSW
- CCChange AnalystACT
- CCSoftware ManagerVIC
- FTIT Test ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical LeadVIC
- CCOracle DeveloperVIC
- FTPMO CoordinatorACT
- CCTibco Integration Specialist l Port MacquarieNSW
- FTHRIS Systems Support Analyst (Kronos)NSW