- No DVD writer, integrated graphics
This budget buy looks good and includes some nice options (FireWire, TV-out, card reader) and free extras (mouse, carry bag), but you don't get a DVD writer and the processor doesn't help with battery life.
Price$ 1,499.00 (AUD)
This notebook uses a 2.8GHz Intel Celeron D processor, which provides good performance for a good price, certainly, but doesn't really charge out of the gates. The graphics are integrated, which means the latest games are off-limits, but you can opt to borrow up to 128MB of memory from the main 256MB DDR SDRAM. Lastly, this model has a CD-writer/DVD-ROM combination--which burns CDs and plays DVDs, but does not burn DVDs.
So if all this, in addition the hefty weight (3.8kg) and relatively low battery life (64 minutes in our worst-case scenario test), isn't too much of a compromise, the A4L is worth a closer look.
Performance was about what you'd expect for this price--with a result of 57 in our productivity application benchmark (PC WorldBench 5) and a lacklustre 1659 in 3DMark 2001SE.
You can connect peripherals using the four USB 2.0 or single FireWire ports, network using Ethernet, 56Kbps modem or 802.11b wireless networking and output to an external monitor with the VGA-out, or to a television via the S-Video TV-out port.
Nice little extras include a seven-in-one multiformat card reader, Windows-independent CD playback and controls, free carry bag and optical mouse, and the same software bundle and warranty supplied with the more powerful ASUS V6000V.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Hands-on with Asus ROG G752 and GeForce GTX 1070 (or holy crap this thing is fast!)
- Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080, 1070 and 1060 for laptops break the mobile mold
- After delays, Lenovo finally ships its first OLED laptop
- Surface Pro 3's massive battery drain is a software problem, Microsoft says
- Early Android app support rolls out to two more Chromebooks
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCProgram CoordinatorVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160824/AP/187Asia
- FTChange Management Specialist - IT Service ManagementNSW
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Data MigrationVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Internet/ Intranet) 160902/SA/222Asia
- CCDesktop Support Level 1 /2VIC
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCDesktop Support AnalystSA
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/MySQL/PHP) 160819/SA/173Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Windows 7/8/10) 160901/SA/212Asia
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCData Analyst - multiples roles - EAM experience requiredNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCSharepoint ArchitectACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160816/AP/vhsAsia
- CCIT Assistant (Infrastructure/PC LAN Support) 160825/ITA/864Asia
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- FTSenior Front End Developer (UX/UI)SA
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- FTTechnical Lead | Senior Java Developer | EcommerceNSW
- FTOperations ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - Active DirectoryVIC
- CCSenior IT Project SpecialistVIC