Astone Media Gear AP-360T media streamer
This media streamer has a range of features and comes with a 1TB hard drive
- Easy to operate, quick and powerful decoding
- Bland interface, no inbuilt wireless
The Astone Media Gear AP-360T is a fuss-free media streamer. It's not flawless, but if you're looking for an easy-to-use streamer with a reasonably powerful feature set this is one to consider.
Price$ 349.95 (AUD)
The Astone Media Gear AP-360T is a media streamer with an inbuilt digital television tuner and a versatile feature set. It's not perfect — it has a bland interface and there is no integrated Wi-Fi — but if you're looking for a relatively cheap media streamer that can handle most everyday tasks then it's a viable option.
Unlike the Compro T1000W media streamer, the Astone Media Gear AP-360T is not a stylish product: it's a squat plastic box. The front panel has activity lights for power and hard drive read and recording status, as well as a USB host port and a USB 'B' port for connecting a computer directly to transfer media.
We hooked the Astone Media Gear AP-360T up to our test television, a Panasonic TH-P50G15A plasma, using the 1080p-capable HDMI port. For anyone with an older TV there's also component and composite video. We would have also liked to see VGA for connecting a PC monitor. Audio is handled by analog stereo RCA and coaxial and optical digital outputs. The remote control is relatively simple but we did initially have some problems with the layout — the EPG button is hidden down the bottom, for example. This doesn't present a significant issue though; we got used to it after a short while.
The Astone Media Gear AP-360T has a blue-and-white interface with occasional splashes of yellow. It's a little generic for our liking, and there are no icons to add a bit of life, but the interface is easy to use. The menus are easy to understand and logically laid out, and there is reasonable scope for adjusting video, audio and playback options.
The internal TV tuner of the Astone Media Gear AP-360T isn't brilliant, but it's quick and competent. We found the full complement of Sydney channels in a two-minute search; that's quite slow but thankfully switching between channels is a breeze and generally takes less than a second. The quality of the tuner is roughly equal with other PVRs we've tested; there is reasonable detail visible in high definition broadcasts.
Apart from watching and recording television, the main purpose of the Astone Media Gear AP-360T is to stream audio and video over a network and play files from the internal hard drive. Our review unit came with a 1TB Western Digital WD10EVDS drive installed.
The AP-360T streams media via its 10/100Mbps Ethernet connection without any stuttering and with minimal buffering. There's an optional 802.11n wireless dongle (the player doesn't have Wi-Fi as standard).
Codec support is extensive, ranging from garden-variety MPEG and DivX to more powerful H.264, VC-1 and Real Video HD containers. There is also FLV support — if you have a stockpile of downloaded YouTube videos this may be of interest. The ability to move subtitles around the screen will be useful for anyone with an extensive collection of films in different languages.
Astone's Media Gear AP-360T media streamer is a competent product. It doesn't do anything exceptional to make it stand out from the crowd, but at this price it's a good choice.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Plex embraces Kodi as Plex Media Player becomes available to all
- 'Google Cast' is being phased out in favor of Chromecast for connected TVs and speakers
- PlayStation Vue is now available on Apple TV
- Apple's new TV app puts all the shows and movies you want to watch in one spot
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPProject Coordinator. Business Process Improvement ProgramNSW
- FTIdentity Management Team LeaderVIC
- CCSAP HR Functional ConsultantQLD
- CCSenior Cisco Network EngineerWA
- FTProject Manager - ProcurementSA
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkSA
- CCSenior Software EngineerACT
- FTService Delivery Management LeadQLD
- FTRuby On Rails DeveloperVIC
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerNSW
- FTiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Security ConsultantACT
- CCJava Developer - Baseline Clearance requiredVIC
- CCSenior Networks EngineerVIC
- CCProject Manager / Business Analyst - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCOrganisational Change Manager - Financial ServicesNSW
- CCChange Manager (Office365) required for leading digital innovator in SydneyNSW
- FTLevel 2/3 ConsultantNSW
- CCJava DeveloperWA
- FTMid Level .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Financial Planner - GeelongVIC
- TPAutomation Test EngineerQLD
- FTPractice AdvisorNSW
- FTTSM SpecialistNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW