- Above average sound quality
- Nothing of note
In a sea of portable iPod speaker systems, the i-P22 somewhat differentiates itself with great sound quality, making it a good choice to throw in the car and bring out on the road.
Best Deals (Selling at 5 stores)
Astone's i-P22 is another product in the growing line of portable iPod speaker systems. It is a fairly standard device that offers a range of power options and a dock for your iPod, however it somewhat differentiates itself from the pack by offering above-average sound quality, which other devices often lack, and a sturdy design.
With these products, there is generally little to talk about besides the quality of the audio, and fortunately the i-P22 impresses in this regard. It presents a fairly neutral sound that is full of detail and life. These systems tend to have rather flat bass with distorted mid-ranges and sharp highs, but that was not the case here. The i-P22 offers rich, strong bass that is well balanced against the other ranges, making the overall sound quite fun and lively. The mid-range offers good detail and decent separation of sounds, with relatively mellow highs rounding out to a pleasant sound.
We were also impressed with the directional capabilities of the system. Generally portable speakers struggle to be properly audible unless you're sitting right in front of them, but during testing the i-P22 could be heard across the room. It was noticeably muddier, but still perfectly acceptable.
If you're into minimalist control setups, then you'll feel right at home with the i-P22. It sports just three buttons, two for volume and a power switch. There are no treble or bass adjustment options, which disappointed us a little. The facade is occupied by the two speakers themselves, along with dual slots that contain the four AA batteries, as well as a nifty pocket to store your ear-buds. An iPod can be mounted in the small dock connector, which sits in the middle of the unit.
It is a fairly standard looking device, with a hard black exterior that unzips to reveal the smooth white speakers within. This design makes it suitable for regular transport and combined with the excellent audio quality, makes the i-P22 a great choice for those trips to the beach.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 2 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
- 3 Playing chicken with a Tesla Model S
- 4 Audi TT (2015) review: A smarter take on the sports coupe
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW