- Wireless options, TV recording, organiser functions
- No FM tuning/recording
Although the Archos PMA430 lacks automatic photo slideshows, screen orientation switching and true widescreen support, it would still tempt audio-visual enthusiasts with deep pockets.
Price$ 1,499.00 (AUD)
The Archos Pocket Media Assistant PMA430 features a 3.5" touch screen display. When it's propped up (no kickstand is included) it's quite viewable from above. But when the device is laid flat on a desk or your lap, it's much harder to see.
The PMA430 is well built with protective rubberised edges and is a little smaller than some similar multimedia players. The PMA430 has a 30GB hard disk; enough capacity for roughly 6500 songs, 120 hours of video or 300,000 photos. It also has a USB 2.0 interface, can also double as external hard disk and includes internal directory structures for organising your media files (see specifications for full listing of supported photo, music and movie file formats).
The Archos can record input from a built-in microphone and has a host of extra features. Its bundled TV cradle provides a convenient method for TV output (composite or S-Video) and serves as the interface to record directly from the TV--complete with schedule and quality options.
The PMA430 also includes wireless networking and Linux-based PDA-style features. These include a "today" screen (comprising tasks, email and events overview), an email client, Opera Web browser, a calendar, contacts, to do list, clock, world time, calculator, text editor, terminal and PDF viewer. There are three types of text input. Handwriting recognition involves using the stylus to write into three sections at the bottom of the display: capital and lower case letters, plus numbers. It guesses the words you're trying to write and displays possibilities for you to choose. There is also an on-screen keyboard and SMS-style pre-emptive text input.
One last trick in the PMA430's arsenal is its ability to play Mophun games (www.mophun.com)--think newer mobile phone-style titles.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTUNIX, LINUX , VM System AdministrationNSW
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- CCSenior Business Analyst - TaxVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Loutus Notes) 160815/SA/102Asia
- CCPMO Project AdministratorNSW
- CCJunior SQL DBA - Entry LevelVIC
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- CCSenior Project Specialist - Network IPVIC
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - SIEMVIC
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCData Analyst - multiples roles - EAM experience requiredNSW
- FTDigital Product Owner | Advertising Technology | SearchNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/MySQL) 160823/AP/172Asia
- CCSAP Program Manager - CBDNSW
- FTProject Administrator (Agile)WA
- CCNetwork Implementation EngineerNSW
- CCAsset Transfer Specialist | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCiOS DeveloperVIC
- CCAutomation ManagerNSW
- CCProject Manager- Radio CommunicationsVIC
- FTUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- FTSAP BASIS HANA ConsultantNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence Team LeadVIC