Apple Safari 4
Apple Safari 4 is more than just one of the fastest web browsers for Windows and Mac.
- Extremely fast page rendering,
- Too soon to make a definitive judgement
Safari 4 has come out of its short beta period to blossom as a remarkably attractive and well featured modern web browser. For Windows users, Safari has previously been something of an also-ran behind Firefox and IE, but with Safari 4, the browser could catch up on XP to Windows 7 systems too. Safari 4 is extremely fast in its page rendering thanks to the refined WebKit engine, and offers some genuinely useful user interface elements which make finding sites quicker and browsing a more comfortable experience.
Another addition for Safari 4 is the Cover Flow navigation model. First seen in iTunes, this similarly allows a graphical way to look around your favourite or previously visited sites. You can use Cover Flow here to flick your way through bookmarks or history, with again small thumbnail renderings to guide your way.
We found a picture of a site painted on the screen in this manner could give faster cues to sites in our browsing history, rather than reading site URL addresses and trying to imagine what we saw on that page.
For Mac users with Multi-touch trackpads, the final release of Safari 4 addresses an issue with pinch zooming of pages, although we found this still not quite as fluid as it was with Safari 3, as magnification jumps in a limited number of steps between different zoom factors.
For web developers and the technically curious, Apple provides a neat view of page source along with load times for the various code elements.
Just enable Develop mode in the Safari 4's preferences, and look under the newly instated Develop menu between Bookmarks and Window. There you'll find Show Web Inspector. In Windows, the Develop menu appears with other window menus under the folded-corner page icon on the right of the browser pane.
"Safari 4 is the fastest and most efficient browser for Mac and Windows, with great integration of HTML 5 and CSS 3 web standards that enables the next generation of interactive web applications," proclaims Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice-president of worldwide product marketing.
Safari prompts you to install Bonjour for Windows and Safari Desktop shortcuts. Bonjour is the applet used to aggregate content from attached devices as well as your hard drive. It's not an essential part of the Safari experience.
Having specified whether these two extras should load along with Safari and accepted Apple's licence agreement, you get a rather odd Apple thankyou message that stalled the installation progress. What it actually means is we needed to quit the existing web browsing page so everything could be updated. It would have made sense to say so.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 3 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
- 5 Parrot Mambo Drone review
Latest News Articles
- 2016 will be 1 second longer: Google can help you cope
- Microsoft declares summer's Windows 10 upgrade fit for business
- Stop pouting: Google’s Santa Tracker is updated just in time for the Christmas countdown
- You can finally watch Netflix offline now
- How to clear unwanted autofill entries in Google Chrome
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCIT Specialist - Application Blueprinting Engineer ( Developer)ACT
- TPBusiness Systems AnalystQLD
- CCSQL Data and Reporting AnalystNSW
- CCSEM / PPC SpecialistNSW
- CCTelecom Riggers and TechniciansNSW
- FTSoftware / Web Development ManagerNSW
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- TPSenior PMO AnalystNSW
- FTTelecom Riggers and TechniciansNSW
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkVIC
- CCActive Directory EngineerNSW
- TPBI DeveloperSA
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- FTWeb Developer/ DesignerSA
- TPMicrosoft Dynamics CRM Developer/ AdministratorWA
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- CCIT Service Design Analyst- ITSMNSW
- FTServicing Financial Planner - CBDVIC
- CCSecurity SpecialistVIC
- FTSecurity AdministratorVIC
- CCQuality and Testing Assurance SpecialistNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst (Payment Systems Project)QLD
- FTService Lifecycle Management RepresentativeVIC
- CCSenior Financial PlannerNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW