Apple MacBook Pro
- Slim and sexy, Magnetic Power connector, iSight Webcam, Faster than previous models
- Expensive, Poor Screen Resolution, Graphics need work
It's expensive, but the MacBook Pro offers better performance and speed than its predecessors and ships standard with a whole range of intuitive features
Price$ 3,199.00 (AUD)
The 15.4inch MacBook Pro is a similar size to the 15inch PowerBook G4 that it replaces - and looks just as slim and sexy next to the majority of Window-based laptops with which it now shares its processor.
All of the PowerBook's innovations - such as the illuminated keyboard for working in the dark, the scrolling trackpad and the stylish, slot-loading DVD writer - have survived. This latest model adds a magnetic power connector so you don't trash your laptop if you trip over the lead, the iSight webcam with Photo Booth software, the Front Row living-room media player and a remote control so you can sit back and enjoy it all from a distance. The magnetic power connector is truly an ingenious invention and will ensure you'll never worry about getting tangled around the power cord again.
Unfortunately though, the MacBook Pro's screen resolution is mediocre. Many 15-inch models in this price range have 1,680 x 1,050-pixel screens - and it's not the X-black type that many top laptops have. This is disappointing, especially from Apple.
The MacBook Pro proved to be around 50 percent faster in Apple's bundled iLife suite of image, video and music-editing appplications than the 1.67GHz G4. Power-hungry software needs to be updated for the Intel chip to run in a useable manner, with untuned creative programs such as Adobe Photoshop running more slowly on the MacBook than on the G4.
Using the tuned-up, cross-platform Cinebench 9.5 benchmarking software, we compared the MacBook Pro with the Dell Inspiron 9400, which is based around a 2GHz Core Duo chip. In Cinebench's processing test, the laptops were neck and neck. In the real-time 3D tests the Mac wasn't much ahead, which is disappointing for Apple, since the MacBook has a hardcore ATI graphics chip whereas the Inspiron merely has an onboard graphics setup.
With a tuned version of Photoshop up to a year away, the MacBook Pro's usual audience of creative pros won't be leaping to purchase this model. For the rest of us, though, this is a fantastic-looking laptop with the easiest-to-use media software around - but it'll cost you.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 2 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 3 Parrot Mambo Drone review
- 4 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 5 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Razer's revamped Blade Pro laptop marries a GeForce GTX 1080 with 4K G-Sync
- Tobii's new eye tracker adds head tracking with an emphasis on PC games
- Apple to announce new Macs at a special event October 27
- HP Omen 17 review: Great gaming performance at a great price
- Acer's swanky Swift 7 launches as the thinnest laptop ever
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- TV buying guide: What to look for when buying a TV in 2016
- Best iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plans: Optus vs Telstra vs Vodafone vs Virgin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCHead of Digital (Technology Manager - Digital Transformations)NSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (PC LAN Support) 161114/ITA/411Asia
- CCSenior Siebel Business AnalystACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Web) 161011/AP/145Asia
- CCPerformance AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/SQL) 161018/AP/812Asia
- FTSenior Commercial and Bid ManagerVIC
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 161019/JP/552Asia
- FTWeb DeveloperNSW
- CCData ScientistVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Oracle/Unix/WebLogic) 161020/SA/693Asia
- CCICT Project Reporting Planning CoordinatorNSW
- CCSenior Java Analyst Programmer - Front Office TradingNSW
- FTSoftware Developers - .Net 4.6NSW
- CCSenior Developer - C++/Perl/PythonNSW
- CCBusiness Process Specialist/AnalystNSW
- CCCloud Security Services SpecialistVIC
- FTUX Design LeadNSW
- CCDigital Solutions ManagerNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (Internet/ Intranet) 161025/JP/vhaAsia
- CCDevOps/Automation EngineerNSW
- CCQlikview DeveloperNSW
- FTScrum MasterNSW
- FTProduct ManagerVIC