- Battery life and click-wheel control have are an improvement over earlier iPods
- Limited codec support, music online can only be purchased from Apple
The iPod's thoughtful design and features make it an excellent MP3 player, but for picky buyers who are holding out for the ideal portable music device, the wait continues.
Price$ 439.00 (AUD)
In mid-2005, Apple launched its fourth-generation iPod--and by now you either love the slick-looking player or are unimpressed by its features and price. In our view, this version is much better than previous iPods, but it's still not perfect.
The major improvements: Apple rates the new iPod's battery life at 12 hours of continuous play (up from 8 hours), and I netted exactly that in tests of a shipping 40GB unit. To improve usability, Apple added the iPod Mini's click-wheel control, which elegantly combines touch-sensitive scrolling with easier-to-use click buttons.
Other improvements are minor. You can now speed up Audible.com audiobooks without triggering the chipmunk-on-helium effect; you can better manipulate On-The-Go playlists (and more easily save them); and you can shuffle through all of your songs or albums with a single click.
Frustratingly, the iPod continues to suffer from several feature omissions. Apple limits codec support to AAC, MP3 and Apple Lossless (plus .wav and AIFF), so fans of WMA, Ogg Vorbis, and FLAC are out of luck. You still can't change the order of songs on a playlist, and, at the time of writing, you could only purchase music online only through Apple.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSoftware test engineer - Telecom/NetworkACT
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- FTIT Security & Risk ManagerNSW
- CCOracle DevelopersACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Loutus Notes) 160815/SA/102Asia
- CCEnterprise Architect ? Big Data AnalyticsNSW
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- CCMainframe Application ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCChange Manager/ Advisor- operational environmentNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Data Management/Web) 160818/SA/602Asia
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMwareACT
- FTTechnical Lead | Senior Java Developer | EcommerceNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/MySQL) 160823/AP/172Asia
- CCSenior Business Analyst - GeneralVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Oracle SQL/.Net) 160812/AP/vhsAsia
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160817/SITA/902Asia
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCOracle/Java/Applications DeveloperACT
- CCSecurity ArchitectACT
- FTInfrastructure Engineer - Cloud computingAsia
- CCSenior Security Specialist - McAfeeVIC
- CCChange LeadsNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/P/601Asia