Apple iMovie HD
- 5th generation product, very stable, HD support good for future projects.
- Very processor hungry compared to previous versions. Could have better music track inputs into the timeline.
iMovie ignited the home video editing industry and the latest version may help accelerate the adoption of HD related video products.
Price$ 119.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Releasing a High Definition (HD) version of iMovie may seem like an odd move by Apple. HD equipment is still out of the reach of 99% of the iMovie user demographic and the fact that no-one has really come up with a standard for HD-DVD video is also an issue when it comes time to share your HD-DVD masterpiece with family and friends.
Aside from HDV support, other improvements in iMovie HD should appeal to users who have purchased the latest mini DV camcorders and increasingly popular tapeless camcorders. Support for widescreen video (16:9 format) and MPEG-4 video (a format used in many tapeless videocameras) allows easy video input from a variety of sources. The ability for iMovie HD to keep the imported movie in its original form, without having to transcode the video is also a big timesaver.
Yet the most important feature of iMovie HD is its ability to work well as a simple drag and drop movie editor, with a default interface that presents no nasty surprises to the new user. Simply connect your camcorder to the PC and select the clips you want to use and drag them to the timeline. Once the clips are on the timeline, you can move individual clips around until you are ready to add transitions, effects and music. Unlimited undos also allow you to be creative with no consequences if you botch something up.
Even if you never use it again, try the Magic iMovie feature at least once. Depending on the footage and movie project, the Magic iMovie works surprisingly well. The program automatically imports footage from your camcorder, adds a transition and music you have selected and even writes the movie to iDVD if that's what you want. The proliferation of podcasts has not been lost on Apple, with iMovie HD able to output video to support the format, as well as easy movie preparation for uploading web quality video to your personal site.
iMovie HD features pro-quality special effects, including the a "Ken Burns" effect that was introduced in iMovie 3. This is a very good effect for adding still images to help enhance what may be a slow part of a movie, although more control over where the effect starts and finishes would be very useful. The effect zooms and pans across still photos giving new life to a static image.
For the more experienced, or more adventurous, iMovie HD allows you to add certain levels of sophistication to the interface - revealing more powerful tools as you gain the experience to use them. For example, once you get past the drag and drop nature of making a video, you may want to work with the audio component, both on the video track and on any music you may want to include in the video.Go to View and select Show Clip Volume levels and the timeline delivers an adjustable line for any audio tracks allowing you to alter the volume at exactly the point you want.
Apple has drawn a line in the sand with its release of iMovie HD, which means when the inevitable drop in the price of HD equipment happens (both video cameras and HD TVs) and a standard for HD shown on some sort of disc is adopted, Apple users will be ready to go.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- New Google prompt vastly simplifies two-factor authentication
- Microsoft dials back Windows 10 upgrades to 2X a year
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Use Feedback Hub to complain to Microsoft about Windows 10
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTTechnical Business Analyst (Integration background)NSW
- CCWindows 2003-2012 R2 Active Directory Consultant/ManagerNSW
- CCSystems Administrator with developer skills | Defence intelligence | NV2 clearedACT
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- FTIT Project Coordinator- Data Center Infrastructure backgroundNSW
- CCLead Communications ConsultantWA
- CCSnr IT Project Manager - Contact CentreVIC
- CCData Warehouse Specialist- Power BI, SSAS DBA, Azure, SQLNSW
- CCSenior Applications SpecialistQLD
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/Technical Support) 160616/ITA/991Asia
- CCSoftware Biomedical Solutions ArchitectSA
- CCMS Exchange Support EngineerNSW
- FTIT Senior Business Analyst (12M)NSW
- CCMulesoft Integration DeveloperWA
- FTMobility Developer x 2 - iOS and Android positions available!NSW
- CCBusiness Data AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160617/AP/623Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst, InsuranceNSW
- CCSystem AnalystACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer (System Backup Operation/UNIX) 160615/AP/791Asia
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerVIC
- CCEnvironment Manager - POSVIC
- FTTechnical Lead | Senior Java DeveloperNSW
- CCInside Sales Specialist / Customer Service - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCArchitect (AWS)NSW