Aopen OpenBook Z71A
- Great business application performance, lightweight
- Chipset graphics borrows from main memory
The Z71A offers solid performance, battery life and DVD writing at a competitive price.
Price$ 2,899.00 (AUD)
The key specifications of this highly portable 915 chipset (Sonoma) Centrino machine include a 2GHz Intel Pentium M processor, an 80GB hard disk and a multiformat DVD writer.
What's interesting is that Z71A's 512MB of memory is DDR--not DDR2 like most Sonoma-based notebooks. Additionally, this Sonoma notebook employs embedded Intel graphics. When the system's main RAM configuration is 512MB, as it is here, the 915GM chipset graphics controller can borrow up to 64MB for graphics.
The Intel graphics controller scored 4128 in 3DMark 2001SE--not a particularly good result. The notebook had a decent battery life in our test, however: 80 minutes in a worst-case scenario.
The 15.4" display supports a maximum resolution of 1200 x 800.
The Z71A's design should easily accommodate most tasks you throw at it. Peripherals such as printers, digital cameras and MP3 players can all be connected via the five high-speed USB 2.0 slots while a FireWire connection is also provided for digital video cameras, external hard disks and more.
Further peripherals can be added via the one Type II PC Card or single PC ExpressCard slot. On the networking side of things, you receive standard 10/100 Ethernet and 56Kbps modem connections in addition to built-in 802.11a/b/g wireless networking.
Nice touches include S-Video TV-out and S/PDIF audio-out ports, an integrated multi-card reader plus Windows-independent CD player and controls at the right of the front fascia. Programmable shortcut buttons are also included on the right side of the keyboard.
A Targus carry bag and AOpen mini optical mouse are bundled with the notebook.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Steam updates user reviews to better reflect trends
- Galaxy Note 6 rumors hint at IR autofocus, USB-C connectivity, new Snapdragon SoC
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare goes full sci-fi with space-based gunfights
- HP's new Chromebook 13 has features to match top-line Windows PCs
- Acer's new Predator gaming systems are powerful beasts that will also run your VR headset
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSoftware (.Net) DeveloperACT
- CCJava Developer - multiple opportunitiesNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCRemedy AdministratorNSW
- CCBusiness Project ManagerAsia
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CC.NET Developer (Application production Support)NSW
- CCSenior Analyst, Applications - GDWVIC
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCNV2 - System Administration / Application SupportACT
- CCSql Server Database Administrator (SAP)QLD
- CCAzure Consultant/EngineerQLD
- CCSenior Automation Tester - MicroservicesNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager, Technology Upgrade & RefreshNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/Unix) 160509/AP/395Asia
- CCUX Designer and UX ResearcherVIC
- CCMarketing Communications Specialist - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCNV1 | System admin with SQL server experience for Defence Application SupportACT
- FTDigital Sales Manager - Online MediaNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- CCSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- CCSnr Technical System Engineer(IBM DB2/WebSphere)160419/STSE/vmtAsia
- CCMS Biz Talk ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC