Aopen OpenBook Z71A
- Great business application performance, lightweight
- Chipset graphics borrows from main memory
The Z71A offers solid performance, battery life and DVD writing at a competitive price.
Price$ 2,899.00 (AUD)
The key specifications of this highly portable 915 chipset (Sonoma) Centrino machine include a 2GHz Intel Pentium M processor, an 80GB hard disk and a multiformat DVD writer.
What's interesting is that Z71A's 512MB of memory is DDR--not DDR2 like most Sonoma-based notebooks. Additionally, this Sonoma notebook employs embedded Intel graphics. When the system's main RAM configuration is 512MB, as it is here, the 915GM chipset graphics controller can borrow up to 64MB for graphics.
The Intel graphics controller scored 4128 in 3DMark 2001SE--not a particularly good result. The notebook had a decent battery life in our test, however: 80 minutes in a worst-case scenario.
The 15.4" display supports a maximum resolution of 1200 x 800.
The Z71A's design should easily accommodate most tasks you throw at it. Peripherals such as printers, digital cameras and MP3 players can all be connected via the five high-speed USB 2.0 slots while a FireWire connection is also provided for digital video cameras, external hard disks and more.
Further peripherals can be added via the one Type II PC Card or single PC ExpressCard slot. On the networking side of things, you receive standard 10/100 Ethernet and 56Kbps modem connections in addition to built-in 802.11a/b/g wireless networking.
Nice touches include S-Video TV-out and S/PDIF audio-out ports, an integrated multi-card reader plus Windows-independent CD player and controls at the right of the front fascia. Programmable shortcut buttons are also included on the right side of the keyboard.
A Targus carry bag and AOpen mini optical mouse are bundled with the notebook.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 3 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 4 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 5 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
Latest News Articles
- Why my older Chromebook has a right to live, even if Google says it's over
- A Surface all-in-one PC may lead a Microsoft hardware refresh in October
- Hands-on with Asus ROG G752 and GeForce GTX 1070 (or holy crap this thing is fast!)
- Surface Pro 3's massive battery drain is a software problem, Microsoft says
- Early Android app support rolls out to two more Chromebooks
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- FTNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTTest SpecialistSA