- Solid speed for most discs, Quiet operation, Variety of formats
- Problems writing to DVD-R DL discs
It doesn't handle DVD-R DL discs very well, but for everything else, the DSW1812P is and efficient and fairly speedy burner.
Price$ 65.00 (AUD)
The AOpen DSW1812P is a triple format DVD burner which can burn to almost all media available on the market, including DVD-RAM. The speedy DSW1812P also features interchangeable front bezels, with both a white and black bezel included in the package.
Typical of most of the DVD burners currently available on the market, the DSW1812P has an ATAPI/IDE interface and a buffer size of 2MB. AOpen also claims the use of silent technology thanks to an auto balance system (ABS) and a noise-control system (NCS); we did note that this is a whisper quiet DVD burner, with no apparent vibration while the drive was spinning, although we did notice some vibration when it was burning to CD. For testing consistency, the DSW1812P was installed in a Thermaltake Shark case which has drive rails that hold the drive securely in place.
The DSW1812P can burn and read most of the standard DVD and CD formats, but although it performed admirably in most tests, we experienced consistent problems writing to DVD-R DL (dual layer) discs. We discovered errors on two of our test discs and repeated attempts to read back burnt DVD-R DL discs in the AOpen drive and in other drives weren't successful.
Despite the issue with DVD-R DL discs, the DSW1812P handles DVD+R DL without any problems. As usual, we filled our Verbatim discs with 8GB of music and video files. The DSW1812P writes these discs at a speed of 8x, and this took almost 18 minutes to complete using the supplied Nero 7 Essentials software - a fairly speedy result.
The DSW1812P also handles single-layer DVD-R and DVD+R discs without any fuss. We used 4GB worth of video and music files for the single-layer tests, with a mere two second difference in write times at 16x (5mins 42sec and 5min 40sec respectively). Similarly, read times were just seven seconds apart at 4mins 41sec and 4min 48sec respectively. These write and read times are quite fast compared to other drives we have seen, such as the ASUS DRW-1612BL. Playing back the burnt data in Nero's CD-DVD speed showed a smooth read curve, with all burnt discs read back perfectly on other PCs.
Overall, the speedy DSW1812P performed well with very good write times and solid read times for most discs - although keep in mind that it doesn't handle DVD-R DL discs very well.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia Lumia 830 review: Punching above its weight
- 2 BlackBerry Passport review: A smartphone going nowhere
- 3 Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A flagship at 4.6-inches
- 4 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
- 5 Samsung Galaxy Tab S (10.5) 4G review
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Wi-Fi Passpoint standard now knits together SF, San Jose, London
- Big Data Digest: Rise of the think-bots
- FCC pushes TV spectrum auction to 2016 after legal challenge
- Apple mum as Mac owners tussle with Yosemite over Wi-Fi problems
- Apple Pay tops Tim Cook's to-do list in China
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTDigital PR SpecialistNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW