- Solid speed for most discs, Quiet operation, Variety of formats
- Problems writing to DVD-R DL discs
It doesn't handle DVD-R DL discs very well, but for everything else, the DSW1812P is and efficient and fairly speedy burner.
Price$ 65.00 (AUD)
The AOpen DSW1812P is a triple format DVD burner which can burn to almost all media available on the market, including DVD-RAM. The speedy DSW1812P also features interchangeable front bezels, with both a white and black bezel included in the package.
Typical of most of the DVD burners currently available on the market, the DSW1812P has an ATAPI/IDE interface and a buffer size of 2MB. AOpen also claims the use of silent technology thanks to an auto balance system (ABS) and a noise-control system (NCS); we did note that this is a whisper quiet DVD burner, with no apparent vibration while the drive was spinning, although we did notice some vibration when it was burning to CD. For testing consistency, the DSW1812P was installed in a Thermaltake Shark case which has drive rails that hold the drive securely in place.
The DSW1812P can burn and read most of the standard DVD and CD formats, but although it performed admirably in most tests, we experienced consistent problems writing to DVD-R DL (dual layer) discs. We discovered errors on two of our test discs and repeated attempts to read back burnt DVD-R DL discs in the AOpen drive and in other drives weren't successful.
Despite the issue with DVD-R DL discs, the DSW1812P handles DVD+R DL without any problems. As usual, we filled our Verbatim discs with 8GB of music and video files. The DSW1812P writes these discs at a speed of 8x, and this took almost 18 minutes to complete using the supplied Nero 7 Essentials software - a fairly speedy result.
The DSW1812P also handles single-layer DVD-R and DVD+R discs without any fuss. We used 4GB worth of video and music files for the single-layer tests, with a mere two second difference in write times at 16x (5mins 42sec and 5min 40sec respectively). Similarly, read times were just seven seconds apart at 4mins 41sec and 4min 48sec respectively. These write and read times are quite fast compared to other drives we have seen, such as the ASUS DRW-1612BL. Playing back the burnt data in Nero's CD-DVD speed showed a smooth read curve, with all burnt discs read back perfectly on other PCs.
Overall, the speedy DSW1812P performed well with very good write times and solid read times for most discs - although keep in mind that it doesn't handle DVD-R DL discs very well.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Seagate crams a massive 5TB into a portable hard drive
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCServiceNOW DeveloperNSW
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTDeveloper - Java/J2EEQLD
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCTransport Planner - GIS SpecialistNSW
- CCTest Planner - Infrastructure/Data CentreACT
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- TPe-Learning Developer (Captivate 8)VIC
- CCDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Contract - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- FTLinux Systems EngineerQLD
- TPDeployment Specialist (DevOps)QLD
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- TPCrystal Reports DeveloperSA
- FTFinancial ERP Customer SME / Solution Consultant / System AccountantNSW
- FTDeveloper/ ProgrammerSA
- FTLevel 2 Technical Support OfficerQLD
- TPDigital Strategist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW
- FTEnterprise Account ManagerNSW