Anyware Corporation RoboDog Webcam
- Ease of use and setup, Novelty factor
- Image quality isn’t the best, software could be more advanced
It won’t blow you away with its quality, but it does provide a cheap alternative to the competition.
Price$ 29.00 (AUD)
Webcams are a popular product, as the ability to see a person live from the other side of the planet is something special. Anyware Computer Accessories has recognized that children make up an increasingly large proportion of webcam users and has developed a RoboDog webcam - a small and compact webcam in the shape of a futuristic dog.
The RoboDog is very basic and plugs into your PC via a removable USB cable, which is included in the sales package. Installation is a hassle-free process; simply install the provided software and plug the webcam into a free USB port on your computer. Keeping in line with its target audience, the RoboDog definitely scores points for setup and ease of use. The RoboDog has four hinged legs, which means if it's positioned correctly, it can sit nicely on top of your PC's monitor.
The installation CD contains a piece of software called Amcap, which is used to run the webcam. Simply click 'Options>Preview' and a window displays the current image. Focus is adjusted using the focus control, mounted in the nose of the RoboDog. We experienced some difficulty in obtaining a respectable image, as the focal ring is quite difficult to move and requires a little extra force to turn.
The software is very simple to use; 'Capture>Snap One Image' takes a still photograph, while 'Capture>Start Camera' records video. Our main complaint with the software is the lack of easy access to these controls as they are all part of the toolbar. We would have appreciated a large record button implemented into the interface, which makes it quicker to start recording or take a quick snapshot.
Video quality of the RoboDog isn't the greatest, but it is slightly better than Anyware's other foray into the webcam world, the Toy Webcam. At under $30 its excellent value for money and adds a bit of fun to the world of webcams.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Facebook adds Apple TV and Chromecast support as video push ramps up
- Remocam review: This security camera can control your home appliances
- Logitech's C922 webcam is the revered C920's vastly upgraded successor
- Jump the line for the newest Chromecast features with Google's new preview program
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSupport and Operations Team LeadNSW
- CCSharepoint Business AnalystACT
- TPAgile Project Manager. Sharepoint / PeoplesoftNSW
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- FTSecurity Engineer - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTL1 Application SupportWA
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- FTSenior Project Manager - PERMANENTACT
- TPBusiness Analyst - PeopleSoft HR/Payroll ProjectVIC
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 requiredSA
- FTJunior Software Developer - SASACT
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- FTERP ConsultantQLD
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTWeb Developer / Applications AnalystQLD
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- FTHR Payroll ConsultantQLD
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Enterprise Information SharingQLD
- TPScrum MasterVIC
- FTWeb Developer/ReportsNSW
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCProject Manager (Event Management)NSW
- FTSenior Systems AdministratorWA