App review: Any.Do for Android
Any.DO for Android is a simple, clean and very well designed to-do list manager
- Attractive, clean UI
- Both simple and advanced features
- Syncs across multiple devices
- No option to set a recurring task
- Vague advanced option icons
- No black widgets
There are plenty of to-do list apps available in the Android Market, but none of them are as simple or intuitive as Any.DO. It could be improved with the ability to set recurring tasks, however, and some of the advanced options could be better identified.
Any.DO for Android is a simple, clean and very well designed to-do list manager. It's the first app of its kind of Android that I haven't uninstalled after a day and best of all, it's completely free.
As a journalist, I consider myself fairly organised so an effective to-do list is one of my most used smartphone apps. Apple's iOS platform boasts a handy built-in reminders app which I make regular use of when I'm using an iPhone, but I've always found Android lacking in this area. There are plenty of to-do list apps available in the Android Market, but none of them are as simple or intuitive as Any.DO.
Any.DO manages to offer plenty of features without hindering its clean and minimalist UI. This intuitive design is highlighted by the "I want to..." text box at the top of the app. Type your reminder into that box and you can then choose to add it to your to do list, configure a reminder or share it. A reminder can be quickly set to today, tomorrow, this week or next week, while you can also use the calendar to select a date and time that's further down the track.
The auto-complete feature in Any.DO is a handy addition. As you begin typing, it immediately begins to suggest options. If you start typing a name that's in your contacts list, it will suggest that person's name. You can also use Google's built-in voice recognition to enter tasks and while it's not completely error free, we came away impressed with the general accuracy.
A simple list format shows all of your entered reminders and you can drag and drop each reminder, or choose to place them in folders rather than times. If you tap on a task you can set more advanced options, like priority level, folders and notes. Annoyingly, there's no option to set a recurring task such as daily, weekly or monthly.
Sharing a task sends a contact an email that invites them to download Any.DO. The icons for these settings are a little vague though, so we'd have appreciated a text description to avoid confusion.
The Any.DO app comes with five home screen widgets at various sizes, but it's a shame they are only available in white. The app itself allows users to choose from black and white background themes. We found the shake to clear done tasks feature hit and miss.
Creating an Any.DO account through Facebook or using an email address means you can save and syncronise your tasks across multiple devices. There's also a very handy Google Chrome extension that allows you to access tasks through the browser and the company says a generic web app is "coming soon".
Requirements: Android 2.1 and up
Reviewed on: HTC One SV
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Gboard update brings text selection mode and resizing to Android keyboard app
- Google might be gearing up to remove millions of Play Store apps next month
- WhatsApp finally launches video calling
- Google Play is cracking down on fake reviews and fraudulent install numbers
- Google Maps for Android adds 'OK Google' voice, navigation commands and other search tricks
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTAsst. Director - Claim AnalysisACT
- CCSCCM EngineerNSW
- FTSenior MS Server Administrator with HyperVNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- FTBI Report DeveloperQLD
- FTPHP / WordPress DeveloperQLD
- CCPlatform Engineer - DevOpsVIC
- FTSenior Desktop Engineer - SCCM / AD / 2012 ServerNSW
- FTProject Manager, Asset Vision- SaaS, PaaS- Gov backgroundNSW
- FTCampaign ManagerNSW
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystVIC
- FTICT Relationship Manager - Service Delivery EnvironmentNSW
- CCService Delivery Analyst - Port MacquarieNSW
- CCSecurity Specialist - NV1ACT
- FTSales Lead / Sales Executive - Enterprise IT Healthcare Perm - North RydeNSW
- FTEngineer Control Systems SpecialistSA
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPMaster Portfolio SchedulerVIC
- CCVisual DesignerACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Agile and Business ProcessNSW
- FTSolution Architect x 2 (ETL/SSIS)NSW
- FTAgile Scrum Master/TrainerNSW
- FTIT Service Desk Manager - Team LeaderNSW
- FTFront End Web DeveloperACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - PegaNSW