Altec Lansing iM510
- Sandisk dock, rich mid tones, bright high tones, easy to use
- Lacking in bass
The Altec Lansing iM510 is a very basic speaker system designed with an integrated dock for the Sandisk Sansa range of players. It has reasonable sound quality but not good enough to be considered great.
Price$ 199.95 (AUD)
Altec Lansing's latest iPod dock, the iM510 is a decent but not outstanding performer. Like most other similar products, it gives you a simple way to share your music and while the sound quality is far from impressive it more than does the job. The only other feature worth noting is the Sandisk compatible dock that accompanies this unit, which makes their Sansa MP3 players a breeze to connect.
Of course there is a regular auxiliary port along with a stereo cable, so the iM510 does support all digital music players with a 3.5mm headphone jack. The dock simply makes it easier to connect and store Sandisk players. Whichever option you choose, setup is as simple as plugging in your player and hitting the power button.
There are basically no controls to speak of except for two volume buttons subtly hidden on the top right hand corner. We were a little disappointed to find no bass or treble adjustment was offered, but considering this is a relatively entry level dock system, it isn't surprising.
Audio quality was quite good considering the size and cost of the unit. Audiophiles won't be impressed but the average user should be satisfied by the smooth, rich sound - particularly the mid range which has great detail. The highs were also quite pleasing although they did occasionally become too bright. The bass was the only area that was lacking. It generally sounded hollow and lacked impact, which made some of the music a little dull.
Volume was reasonable; at maximum it should be able to safely pump music to a small or medium sized room.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTWeb Developer/ReportsNSW
- CCITCM EngineerNSW
- FTHelpdesk TechnicianVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - PeopleSoft HR/Payroll ProjectVIC
- FTMid Level PHP DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistVIC
- TPUnix- Technical Support OfficerVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTTechnology Portfolio Investment AnalystQLD
- CCVirtualisation Engineer - IP NetworksVIC
- FTICT Business Development Manager - Technical Products/SolutionsQLD
- FTPMO ManagerNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - Infrastructure ProjectQLD
- CCChange LeadNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- FTSenior IOS DeveloperNSW
- CCOrganisational Change Manager - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- TPFull Stack .NET DeveloperWA
- TPSenior Business Analyst - QLD Parks and Wildlife ServiceQLD
- FTService Desk Team LeaderSA
- FTSalesforce Senior Developer | Solution DesignerQLD