Altec Lansing iM510
- Sandisk dock, rich mid tones, bright high tones, easy to use
- Lacking in bass
The Altec Lansing iM510 is a very basic speaker system designed with an integrated dock for the Sandisk Sansa range of players. It has reasonable sound quality but not good enough to be considered great.
Price$ 199.95 (AUD)
Altec Lansing's latest iPod dock, the iM510 is a decent but not outstanding performer. Like most other similar products, it gives you a simple way to share your music and while the sound quality is far from impressive it more than does the job. The only other feature worth noting is the Sandisk compatible dock that accompanies this unit, which makes their Sansa MP3 players a breeze to connect.
Of course there is a regular auxiliary port along with a stereo cable, so the iM510 does support all digital music players with a 3.5mm headphone jack. The dock simply makes it easier to connect and store Sandisk players. Whichever option you choose, setup is as simple as plugging in your player and hitting the power button.
There are basically no controls to speak of except for two volume buttons subtly hidden on the top right hand corner. We were a little disappointed to find no bass or treble adjustment was offered, but considering this is a relatively entry level dock system, it isn't surprising.
Audio quality was quite good considering the size and cost of the unit. Audiophiles won't be impressed but the average user should be satisfied by the smooth, rich sound - particularly the mid range which has great detail. The highs were also quite pleasing although they did occasionally become too bright. The bass was the only area that was lacking. It generally sounded hollow and lacked impact, which made some of the music a little dull.
Volume was reasonable; at maximum it should be able to safely pump music to a small or medium sized room.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior Wintel EngineerNSW
- CCProject SchedulerNSW
- FTApplication Support AnalystVIC
- FTJunior Project Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | Projects & BAU | Coastal Newcastle NSWWA
- CCSystem TesterQLD
- CCJunior .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTC# .Net DeveloperSA
- CCMultiple Senior Business Analyst opportunitiesSA
- CCRecords Officer - CanberraACT
- CCSharepoint AdministratorVIC
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW
- CCService EngineerVIC
- CCContract System Analyst (MSSQL/.Net/Mobile App) 160122/SA/vhaAsia
- FTPHP ProgrammerSA
- CCSenior Business AnalystWA
- FTIT Security Governance ManagerNSW
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- FTFull Stack & Mobile EngineersNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - ComplianceVIC
- FTJunior Developer | C#, MVC & SQL | Class FinanceNSW
- CCProject Manager - Operational TechnologyQLD
- CCSenior Product Specialist - Cisco CPENSW