Altec Lansing iM4
- Portability, Decent sound quality
- Distortion at highest volume
The iM4 delivers above average sound quality for a set of portable speakers.
Price$ 169.95 (AUD)
The iM4 is an all around performer in the portable speaker space. It can be used with most portable audio devices, and combines portability and a simple design with surprisingly well balanced sound.
Slightly larger when compared to some portable products we have tested, measuring 261mm x 134mm x 26mm, the iM4 utilises a simple yet effective design. The speakers slide out from the centre unit and can rotate to a full 180 degrees; although this range of motion is hardly necessary as you would never want them pointed directly at the ceiling.
The iM4 is predominantly plastic, with a rubber surface on the top of the unit to rest your audio device on. An inbuilt retracting cable is then used to connect it to the speakers. In the box you'll find an additional longer input cable ideal for a laptop connection as well as four power adaptors for use in different parts of the world.
On the whole we were quiet satisfied with the sound quality of the iM4. Where portable speakers are notorious for emitting unfulfilling bass and emphasising the higher frequencies, the iM4 was surprisingly well balanced. Although the bass was not wonderful, instruments in the lower frequencies were quite clear and had enough presence and power to be felt during our listening sessions.
However, some distortion was present when we pushed it to the highest volume, leading to a deteriorating clarity in the upper registers. Overall the iM4 produced a well balanced sound, which is impressive for a portable speaker system of its size and price.
Combining an analogue power button and volume slider the design may not be the most innovative around, but the iM4's simplicity, portability, and good sound quality make this an attractive package.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- TPBusiness Change ManagerQLD
- FTProject Coordinator/AdministratorNSW
- CCUnix/Linux Systems AdministratorNSW
- FTWeb Support LeadQLD
- TPProject Manager - General InsuranceNSW
- FTReporting Analyst - HR / PayrollNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- FTProject Manager (Business Applications)NSW
- FTTeam LeaderNSW
- TPProject Support Officer - Data and Information ManagementVIC
- CCIT Business Analyst - UX DesignNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst AgileQLD
- CCData Migration ManagerQLD
- FTLevel 3 Systems EngineerNSW
- CCDigital Business ArchitectACT
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- CCOrganisational Change Analyst - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- FTInfrastructure EngineerQLD
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 requiredSA
- CCProduct Design AnalystNSW
- CCDomino SpecialistVIC
- FTNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- FT.Net Developer - Mid-levelNSW