Altec Lansing FX4021
- Good sound with certain types of music, Looks good
- Sub sounds hollow and distorted at loud volumes, Sub often sounds boomy
The FX4021 is a competent set of PC speakers that is very much suited to bass-heavy music.
Price$ 249.95 (AUD)
Altec Lansing seems to have solved the problem of often producing understated subwoofers by throwing an extra cone into the mix. The FX4021 contains an isobaric subwoofer, meaning there are two sub cones in the box placed on top of one another.
The design may need a little tweaking but for a small, bass-heavy set of speakers, this in essence does the job. During testing, we noticed the large disparity in results we achieved when testing different types of music. The sub really booms, so tight rhythmic patterns often heard in rock and dance music sounded great. The likes of Jet, U2 and The Chemical Brothers really brought out the best here, with constant and intense bass lines proving to be what this sub was designed for.
Testing on slower and more dispersed sounds of funk and soul music gave us very different results. Where bass lines were more subtle, slower and more varied, the sub sounded highly inaccurate. Jumps in bass lines made the subwoofer pound out the notes at completely different intensities one after another, sounding very unnatural.
Aside from the sub, the satellite speakers displayed sound of an average quality. Highs were not overly well defined but mid range and vocals in particular were tight and clear. High volumes were not handled well though, as distortion became quite dominant and the sub began to sound particularly throaty and hollow when pushed to its limits. Some separation issues also became prevalent when the volume was really pushed. We noticed the highs sometimes dropped out when the sub went to work. This was at very high volumes though and was not something evident during normal listening levels.
There are two control options with the FX4021; a wired control unit and a small remote. The wired control unit sports a cool design with a circular volume dial surrounded by backlit buttons for bass and treble, as well as loudness and SFX modes. Loudness essentially just increased the sub output, while SFX widens the sound image, the latter of which we found valuable. The wired control unit also houses a headphone jack and auxiliary input.
Setup was a simple task with all connections colour coded and running through the sub. A dual-to-single RCA adapter is also included to input a stereo image from a CD player or gaming device.
Essentially, the purchase of the MX4021 will really depend on musical tastes. For the likes of rock and dance music, this will give great results and offer a very attractive output for the asking price.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours
- PC prices will continue to go up due to shortage of components
- Radeon Vega vs. GeForce GTX 1080 Ti? AMD, Nvidia announce dueling events at GDC 2017
- Toshiba's in chaos, but not quitting PCs -- yet
- Intel's 8th-gen 'Coffee Lake' chips reuse 14nm process as other Core CPUs ease into new tech
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSnr SOC Security Coordinator - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCNetwork ArchitectWA
- FTInfrastructure Security Compliance OfficerNSW
- CCServiceNOW DeveloperNSW
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- CCProject Support OfficerNSW
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 required!!SA
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)QLD
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- TPCrystal Reports DeveloperSA
- CCData Migration Consultant - LeadNSW
- CCIT Procurement OfficerNSW
- CCSAP Consultant - SAP Native HANA to DesignWA
- FTMid Level PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTSupport and Operations Team LeadNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst AO7QLD
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTAnalyst Programmer (Natural/Adabas)SA
- TPICT Project CoordinatorQLD
- TPDeployment Specialist (DevOps)QLD