Alien Skin Software Bokeh
Bokeh is the real-world photographic technique for creating images where the subject is largely in focus and the background is blurred.
- Excellent, realistic-looking results; great fine-tuning controls
- Using the plug-in often requires manual cutouts, which are time-consuming
Alien Skin is great if you or your photographer doesn’t have access to the necessary lenses to achieve a Bokeh effect, or you want to add this effect at the end of a composition.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
NOTE: Pricing for this product is in US$.
Bokeh is the real-world photographic technique for creating images where the subject is largely in focus and the background is blurred. The effect is usually caused by using a shallow depth-of-field with a large aperture lens (such as Canon’s EF 85mm f/1.2 II), or a telephoto or macro lens; it’s common in wedding, sports or nature photography.
Alien Skin’s plug-in fakes this effect, which is great if you or your photographer doesn’t have access to such lenses, or you want to add this effect at the end of a composition.
After applying the plug-in, you can choose the type of lens you want, or just use the default setting. This is for sticklers, as we saw little difference between the lens options. More important is the amount of bokeh and whether you apply it over the whole image, with a round unblurred focal region (and the focus dropping away from this gradually), or a flat gradient of focus from one region to another (here called planar). Both focal regions include handle-driven controls that are fast and easy to use.
The downside is that, unless the depth of the image allows smoothly flat or round dropping-away of focus, you’re still going to need to cut out the foreground subject before applying your bokeh – which can be time-consuming. Both the acorn (above) and taps (below) were cut out in Photoshop before applying full and radial bokeh respectively.
Bokeh includes fine-tuning controls over aperture type – including the diaphram shape and the ‘creaminess’ over the highlights – and vignetting, to mimic real lenses in a way that Photoshop’s blur tools can’t match.
It supports the 64-bit Vista version of Photoshop and 16-bit images, but not 32-bit ones (or CMYK pictures).
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unveils Bixby voice assistant for upcoming Galaxy S8
- Pwn2Own hacking contest ends with two virtual machine escapes
- It's time to turn on HTTPS: the benefits are well worth the effort
- Windows Vista has just 30 days to live
- Panasonic pushes buttons with smart home prototypes at SXSW
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCHyperion SpecialistQLD
- CCWeb Data Entry PublisherACT
- FTSenior Desktop Engineer - SCCM / AD / 2012 ServerNSW
- CCChange and Communications ManagerQLD
- FTService Desk Operations AnalystNSW
- TPUnix- Technical Support OfficerVIC
- TPProject Support Officer - Data and Information ManagementVIC
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- FTPower BI Reporting DevelopersSA
- CCSenior Test Analyst-InfrastructureNSW
- FTTeam LeaderNSW
- FTApplication Security SpecialistVIC
- TPJunior Software DeveloperQLD
- FTKey Account ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- TPAutomation Test AnalystSA
- FTJunior Applications SupportVIC
- FTLead Change Manager- Culture & Process ChangeNSW
- FTArcFM DeveloperNSW
- FTHadoop Service AdministratorWA
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Forecasting SASNSW
- CC3 x UX Designers - 3 month contract initially - IT Services company - SydneyNSW
- CCUnix/Linux Systems AdministratorNSW
- FTNBN Sales Consultant / Account ManagersSA