- Small package with lots of power, SATA2, wide range of connectivity options, detachable bios backup card.
- Must be extra careful during installation
If you're after a board that has SLI capabilities then this one is well worth it at only $199.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
This little gem of a board from Albatron stands out because it is so little and so inexpensive, yet is based on an nForce4 SLI chipset. The board is only slightly smaller than a sheet of A4 paper and is perfect for cramped or relatively small ATX enclosures. Because it's based on the recent nForce4 chipset, it also features SATA2 and it can support up to four SATA drives as well as RAID configurations. We needed to create a floppy disk with RAID drivers on it before we could install Windows XP on our RAID 0 array, but we didn't face any problems at all during this task.
Because the board is so small, the installer needs to be very careful during the insertion of IDE cables and the power connector, as these reside on the very edge of the board, which overhangs the secure mounting points of the ATX chassis-design by around 3cm. The board can be so narrow due to the placement of the memory slots, which reside on the top edge of the board just above the CPU socket. Installing the CPU is a little fiddly though, due to the lack of space, as the heat sink securing clips reside very close to capacitors.
As for connectivity, the K8SLI has plenty of USB 2.0 ports, a single Gigabit Ethernet port and it even includes coaxial digital audio, serial and parallel ports on its rear port cluster. It lacks FireWire connectivity, however.
For peace of mind, Albatron ships the K8SLI with a little BIOS card that can be attached to a set of jumpers to restore your system should a BIOS update ever go wrong.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple recalls AC wall plug adapters
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Intel's Skylake vPro chips will support Windows 7 after all
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
- Android Auto coming to 40 car models this year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCAD and FIM EngineerNSW
- CCIT Security EngineerNSW
- CCService Desk ManagerVIC
- CCAutomation QAVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Digital -PenrithNSW
- FTSenior Linux Sys AdminNSW
- CCSolution Architect - .NET environmentACT
- CCJava Development EngineerNSW
- CCCommercial Manager - Strategy / Big Data - Telecommunications -NSW
- CCIT Service Improvement SpecialistNSW
- CCOracle Project OfficerSA
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW
- CCContract System Analyst (SQL/.net) 160205/SA/561Asia
- FTUI DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Project AnalystVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/UNIX) 160203/AP/381Asia
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- CCInfrastructure ConsultantNSW
- CCProject Manager- Wealth and AdviceNSW
- FT.NET DeveloperVIC
- CCSharePoint AdministratorACT
- FTFront End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamNSW
- CCSharepoint AdministratorVIC