- Small package with lots of power, SATA2, wide range of connectivity options, detachable bios backup card.
- Must be extra careful during installation
If you're after a board that has SLI capabilities then this one is well worth it at only $199.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
This little gem of a board from Albatron stands out because it is so little and so inexpensive, yet is based on an nForce4 SLI chipset. The board is only slightly smaller than a sheet of A4 paper and is perfect for cramped or relatively small ATX enclosures. Because it's based on the recent nForce4 chipset, it also features SATA2 and it can support up to four SATA drives as well as RAID configurations. We needed to create a floppy disk with RAID drivers on it before we could install Windows XP on our RAID 0 array, but we didn't face any problems at all during this task.
Because the board is so small, the installer needs to be very careful during the insertion of IDE cables and the power connector, as these reside on the very edge of the board, which overhangs the secure mounting points of the ATX chassis-design by around 3cm. The board can be so narrow due to the placement of the memory slots, which reside on the top edge of the board just above the CPU socket. Installing the CPU is a little fiddly though, due to the lack of space, as the heat sink securing clips reside very close to capacitors.
As for connectivity, the K8SLI has plenty of USB 2.0 ports, a single Gigabit Ethernet port and it even includes coaxial digital audio, serial and parallel ports on its rear port cluster. It lacks FireWire connectivity, however.
For peace of mind, Albatron ships the K8SLI with a little BIOS card that can be attached to a set of jumpers to restore your system should a BIOS update ever go wrong.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Unlike Nvidia, AMD's Radeon RX 480 won't kill support for extreme multi-GPU setups
- Add 8TB storage to Chromebooks, Raspberry Pi 3 with external Seagate hub
- Asus and MSI accused of juicing GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card review samples
- Intel pits monster 72-core Xeon Phi chip against GPUs
- Dell claims its external graphics card tech beats Thunderbolt 3 options
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTMobility Developer x 2 - iOS and Android positions available!NSW
- CCNational Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTSoftware Services Team LeaderNSW
- FTService Delivery Coordinator - ApplicationsNSW
- CCArchitect (AWS)NSW
- CCLinux Systems AdministratorVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160628/P/133Asia
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160621/P/866Asia
- FTProduct Owner - MarketingNSW
- CCMedia AnalystNSW
- FTSOE Engineer - End User ComputingQLD
- CCSharePoint DeveloperSA
- FTOracle Fusion Implementation ConsultantNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS ASP.NET/SQL) 160714/AP/265Asia
- CCSAP ABAP - Senior developerVIC
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCMaster Scheduler - IT Infrastructure ProgramsNSW
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCAgile Product Manager/ UX, Web, Digital Project ManagerNSW
- CCServiceNow DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Performance & Automation EngineerNSW
- FTIT Support Analyst (Renewal Contract)Asia
- CCUX DesignersQLD
- CCF5 Infrastructure AdministratorNSW