Ultra-modern take on retro vinyl.
- Smooth operation, multiple playback speeds, good USB implementation
- Looks more suited to a DJ studio than a home entertainment rack, no dust covers, no bundled software
With a similar price to Sony’s PSLX300USB, this Akai turntable distinguishes itself with more features and its modern styling.
Price$ 299.95 (AUD)
The ATT10U is a USB turntable from Akai that packs plenty of functionality in a well-constructed, modern-looking case. It might not look like it suits your classic A/V rack but it still does the job of playing back vinyl smoothly and capably.
The styling will most likely be divisive — rounded edges and lashings of polished metal make the ATT10U seem like the centrepiece of a disc jockey’s disc-spinning setup rather than anything suited to a serious home audio rack. Still, it’s exceptionally well constructed. The feet of the unit are wide and flat — a boon for record playback — while the body and tone-arm are constructed of solid, heavy materials.
The tone-arm has a nifty anti-skating control mechanism to minimise the amount of force pulling the arm towards the centre of the record. This results in the cleanest possible sound, balanced between both stereo channels. This works especially well if you’re a fan of manually spinning records, as there’s no chance of damaging the tone-arm from scratching.
The USB output works well, installing drivers with a minimum of fuss. The system comes bundled with the freeware audio recording application Audacity, which allows for a lot of functionality in copying records to a PC. The advantage of Audacity over Sony’s Sound Forge software (bundled with the PSLX300USB) is the ability to save files in a wide variety of formats, ranging from MP3 to WAV to FLAC for lossless audio enthusiasts.
The turntable has selectable settings for 33 1/3, 45 and 78 RPM discs, so you’ll be able to play anything from older vinyls to new LPs. With the combination of USB and analog outputs it’s versatile enough to be used in all situations and the fantastic build quality means it’ll spin your records consistently for a long time to come.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 2 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 3 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 4 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 5 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Meet Beats Pill+, the first Beats speaker made under Apple
- Amazon won’t sell Apple TV and Chromecast hardware, bans marketplace partners from selling them, too
- Chromecast duo extends Google's reach further into the living room
- What's inside the new Apple TV? iFixit tears one apart to find out
- Yamaha unveils MusicCast, a high-fidelity multi-room audio system that will have 20-plus components by year's end
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW