Ultra-modern take on retro vinyl.
- Smooth operation, multiple playback speeds, good USB implementation
- Looks more suited to a DJ studio than a home entertainment rack, no dust covers, no bundled software
With a similar price to Sony’s PSLX300USB, this Akai turntable distinguishes itself with more features and its modern styling.
Price$ 299.95 (AUD)
The ATT10U is a USB turntable from Akai that packs plenty of functionality in a well-constructed, modern-looking case. It might not look like it suits your classic A/V rack but it still does the job of playing back vinyl smoothly and capably.
The styling will most likely be divisive — rounded edges and lashings of polished metal make the ATT10U seem like the centrepiece of a disc jockey’s disc-spinning setup rather than anything suited to a serious home audio rack. Still, it’s exceptionally well constructed. The feet of the unit are wide and flat — a boon for record playback — while the body and tone-arm are constructed of solid, heavy materials.
The tone-arm has a nifty anti-skating control mechanism to minimise the amount of force pulling the arm towards the centre of the record. This results in the cleanest possible sound, balanced between both stereo channels. This works especially well if you’re a fan of manually spinning records, as there’s no chance of damaging the tone-arm from scratching.
The USB output works well, installing drivers with a minimum of fuss. The system comes bundled with the freeware audio recording application Audacity, which allows for a lot of functionality in copying records to a PC. The advantage of Audacity over Sony’s Sound Forge software (bundled with the PSLX300USB) is the ability to save files in a wide variety of formats, ranging from MP3 to WAV to FLAC for lossless audio enthusiasts.
The turntable has selectable settings for 33 1/3, 45 and 78 RPM discs, so you’ll be able to play anything from older vinyls to new LPs. With the combination of USB and analog outputs it’s versatile enough to be used in all situations and the fantastic build quality means it’ll spin your records consistently for a long time to come.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCMarketing SpecialistNSW
- TPProject ManagerOther
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- TPImplementation Business Partner - Business ModernisationNSW
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- CCSQL Server BI DeveloperQLD
- FTJava Developer - Fixed Term ContractQLD
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Enterprise Information SharingQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)Other
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- TPService Desk Analyst - Level 1VIC
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerQLD
- CCProject / Portfolio SchedulerNSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- CCTest AnalystWA
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- CCProject Support SpecialistVIC
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior ITIL Service AnalystVIC
- FTIt Security and process analystNSW
- CCCloud Security Solutions Architect - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedNSW
- FTSenior Database AdministratorVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - Permanent OpportunityNSW